Golf in Barbados, best base ?

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not supposed to know, but discovered that HID is planing a suprise holiday for us to Barbados, with me being given some free time to play golf. HAs anybody played out there ? Could you recommend a decent base where there'll be some nice courses etc

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been to Barbados and played golf.

The courses are mostly in the west of the island, although the place is not huge, and most of the resorts are in that area. We stayed at The Fairmont Pavilion near Holetown. There are loads of nice resorts in this area.

The courses nearby are Royal Westmoreland and Sandly Lane.

Royal Westmoreland is very nice, although not cheap. It is, however, less expensive than either Sandy Lane course. It is a good course which used to hold a Seniors event. I think Woosie had or has a home nearby. It is somewhat like a Vilamoura set up, with a nice course and loads of upscale holiday homes, some of which probably belong to footballers.

Sandy Lane has 2 courses. The Green Monkey is a magnificent and stunning looking course. It is eye-wateringly expensive to play, though. The second course, The Country Club, hosted the World Cup of Golf a few years ago. It is a nice enough course, although nothing out of the world. It is not cheap, either. Nothing at Sandy Lane is cheap.

I would rate Green Monkey number 1, Royal West 2 and CC 3rd.

There is another course recently opened called Apes Hill. This looks pretty good, and is probably not cheap either. No idea of they accept visitors.

Finally, there are a couple of courses down near Bridgetown, Barbados Golf Club and Rockley Golf Club. Haven't played either, and I don't think they are in the same category as the others above, but they are probably not in the same price bracket either.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I haven't played Rockley for years, but unless things have changed since I was there, it is just a 9 hole layout.

It used to be part of an all inclusive resort, but this has gone out of business, so I am not sure what has happened to all the rooms and facilities that were built around the course.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I haven't played Rockley for years, but unless things have changed since I was there, it is just a 9 hole layout.

It used to be part of an all inclusive resort, but this has gone out of business, so I am not sure what has happened to all the rooms and facilities that were built around the course.

I think it still is a 9 hole layout except you can actually BUY those villas now.