Golf in Aberdeen

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Playing Trump Aberdeen in October and looking to play another round at either Hazelhead or Craibstone , anyone played them and got any opinions of which is best?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't go near either tbh. Head to either Murcar or Stonehaven

Thanks, I was looking to play a reasonable y priced parkland course for a change close to Aberdeen as I will be getting taxi.

Will have a look at Stonehaven though. ?

Reactions: Val

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Hazelhead is a lovely layout (Mackenzie design) but has suffered from investment from the council for years. Doesn't take rain well and we've had a lot recently. Craibstone is ok, nothing special....not sure on condition as not played it in a while.

Portlethen is a nice parkland, a lot better than its rankings would suggest. You can get a train from Aberdeen to Portlethen, but would need a taxi up to the golf club.

Newmachar Hawkshill is excellent but would be about 25 mins in a taxi.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hazelhead is a lovely layout (Mackenzie design) but has suffered from investment from the council for years. Doesn't take rain well and we've had a lot recently. Craibstone is ok, nothing special....not sure on condition as not played it in a while.

Portlethen is a nice parkland, a lot better than its rankings would suggest. You can get a train from Aberdeen to Portlethen, but would need a taxi up to the golf club.

Newmachar Hawkshill is excellent but would be about 25 mins in a taxi.

Thanks for that , I’ve heard good things about Newmacher and would like to play there but have to get back to Edingburgh same day hence my reason for playing as close Aberdeen as possible.

Do you know anything about Bainagast the course near the harbour? I’ve seen it many a time coming into the harbour by boat but never wanted to play there, certainly be handy for me, but I’ve got this thing in my mind that it wouldn’t be good, maybe totally unjustified.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for that , I’ve heard good things about Newmacher and would like to play there but have to get back to Edingburgh same day hence my reason for playing as close Aberdeen as possible.

Do you know anything about Bainagast the course near the harbour? I’ve seen it many a time coming into the harbour by boat but never wanted to play there, certainly be handy for me, but I’ve got this thing in my mind that it wouldn’t be good, maybe totally unjustified.

Balnagask would be worth playing yes. My Dad has a pass for the 4 council courses (Kings Links, Balnagask and Hazelhead x 2) and he says Balnagask consistently has the best greens. It's a reasonably good layout, a little bit up and down with a couple of blind tee shots. There's nice views out to sea, and a lighthouse next to the course. Also a good chance of seeing dolphins at the harbour entrance. It's probably your best bet.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'd be avoiding both in October, Hazelhead is great but a muni, it won't be in great nick at that time, and Craibstone, while in great nick, isn;t a very good course

Newmacher is only half a dozen miles out of the city, and it's right by the AWPR, so finish your round and you're immediately on the road south avoiding going throug the city.

Alternatively head a bit wouth and stop off at either montrose or Edzell which are both just about half an hour wouth.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd be avoiding both in October, Hazelhead is great but a muni, it won't be in great nick at that time, and Craibstone, while in great nick, isn;t a very good course

Newmacher is only half a dozen miles out of the city, and it's right by the AWPR, so finish your round and you're immediately on the road south avoiding going throug the city.

Alternatively head a bit wouth and stop off at either montrose or Edzell which are both just about half an hour wouth.

? I’ve no car with me hence having to get taxis , but I’ve played Edzell twice and loved that course?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depending on the dates in October, if I'm off I could get you on Cruden Bay or Newmachar as a guest.

Thanks for the offer,
A friend and I are looking for a game on Saturday 14th October

As much as I would love to play Cruden Bay it will be to far for me, Newmachar would also be good but I think we will have to look at something closer to Aberdeen