Golf Films: Love them or hate them

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
This is a subject very close to my heart. When you watch a film where an actor is playing a profesional does it bother you if he has a dodgy swing. For me "Bagger Vance" was ruined because Matt Damons swing was pants and the man was supposed to halve a match with Bobby J and Sir Walter.

I look foreward to your thoughts

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
While I'm on having just given my views on yesterday's epic Forum vs GM encounter here are my opinions:-

1) Caddyshack - excellent and very funny
2) Caddyshack 2 - absolute dross and possibly one of the worst sequels ever made
3) Follow the Sun - the Ben Hogan story is perhaps my favourite golf film ever, if for no other reason than the immortal line uttered by a small boy to Ben on the practice ground, "May I shag for you Mr Hogan?" (it means something different over there in the States, and in fact earlier in the film, Ben's wife also says to him at some point, "I'm more than happy to come along and shag for you, Ben," or words to that effect.)

Tin Cup isn't too bad either - not sure I've seen any other golf films

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
While I'm on having just given my views on yesterday's epic Forum vs GM encounter here are my opinions:-

1) Caddyshack - excellent and very funny
2) Caddyshack 2 - absolute dross and possibly one of the worst sequels ever made
3) Follow the Sun - the Ben Hogan story is perhaps my favourite golf film ever, if for no other reason than the immortal line uttered by a small boy to Ben on the practice ground, "May I shag for you Mr Hogan?" (it means something different over there in the States, and in fact earlier in the film, Ben's wife also says to him at some point, "I'm more than happy to come along and shag for you, Ben," or words to that effect.)

Tin Cup isn't too bad either - not sure I've seen any other golf films

I've been looking to see Follow the Sun for a little while now Jezz but any review I've read says that it is completely inaccurate and doesn't capture the charisma that the great man had. Also it was made before the sensational 1953 season where he won the three majors in which he competed.
So I'm not sure whether it's worth ordering from Amazon or whether I should just wait and catch it on some Tuesday afternoon on Ch5.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I mentioned to my girlfriend lately that I fancied seeing Happy Gilmore...and got the DVD (yes D..VD) from her yesterday. Watched it and it's a scream. It was a nice break from laughing at my own golf.

Caddyshack seems to be a bit dated nowadays if you watch it again but Chevy Chase and Bill Murray rescue it brilliantly. There are entire websites devoted to Bill Murray's performance!!

Tin Cup was pants, thanks to Kevin Costner, but it was a nice idea.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Atticus, you may well be right on this one, so maybe it was just those classic lines that resonated with me!

I seem to remember watching this time and time again to relieve the boredom when I worked in a town centre golf shop connected to a golf course I used to work at in Horsham, and at the time I probably wouldn't have been overly familiar with Hogan's career or story.

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Love them all seen a lot of them.
Tin Cup ok
Happy Gilmore Hillarious
Caddy shack brilliant
Legend of bagger vance bit soppy but good
But think the best!! Bobby Jones stroke of genius, what a player bobby jones was did it all watch it all its a belter!
lol all play well