Golf Courses in Northern France

D

Deleted Member 1156

Depends where you are looking to go, Northern France is a big area! Best courses are around Calais where you have Le Touquet and Hardelot. Both have 2 courses so should cover you for a short trip, also very handy from the ferry port :thup:

Another option is somewhere like Omaha Beach which is about 30 mins from Cherbourg if you wanted to take that crossing. Onsite accommodation and 3 differing loops of 9 so gives a bit of variation.

matts1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, will check out Crossfield link.

Thinking at the moment Le Touquet and Hardelot possible, but with 4 courses need to decide.

Have previously played champ du bataille which was very nice but that a little further from Calais.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
Belle Dune is better than any of the courses at Le Touquet or Hardelot. If you do go for Hardelot then avoid the Dunes course, they've ruined it. I enjoyed the courses at Arras and Abbeville but I haven't played either for more than 10 years. If you want to play in splendid isolation then I recommend Nampont St Martin - how they maintain the courses with such little traffic is a mystery, millionaires golf for very few Euros.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have a look on Mark Crossfields vlogs as he did a trip to Northern France 3 or so months ago and some of the courses he played looked really nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jAWNellEE8&list=PL-yMxw6TSwy5dhqpNHI3KzJIGAFYvWnir And let me know how you get on as I am very tempted to try some of these out.

Belle Dune is my fav, have played it for the last two years now. Actually met Mark Crossfield there when he was filming his review this summer, he trundled up behind us whilst we were waiting on an extremely slow Belgian fourball in front. Heard him talking to his driver, recognized his voice and had a chat with him for a few minutes whilst the Belgians continued to hack 25 yds a shot....

Have also played both courses at Le Touquet. Les pins at Hardelot, Arras, Golf de St Saens and Wimereaux. Top 3 for me would be Belle Dune, La Mer (Le Touquet) and Les Pins (Hardelot), although I quite enjoyed Arras this year. Wimereaux is a good challenge, especially in the wind, but not as much fun, nor as pretty as the dune based courses.

Had a not good experience at Omaha beach - detailed in another thread here, so I can't recommend them.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Belle Dune is my fav, have played it for the last two years now. Actually met Mark Crossfield there when he was filming his review this summer, he trundled up behind us whilst we were waiting on an extremely slow Belgian fourball in front. Heard him talking to his driver, recognized his voice and had a chat with him for a few minutes whilst the Belgians continued to hack 25 yds a shot....

Have also played both courses at Le Touquet. Les pins at Hardelot, Arras, Golf de St Saens and Wimereaux. Top 3 for me would be Belle Dune, La Mer (Le Touquet) and Les Pins (Hardelot), although I quite enjoyed Arras this year. Wimereaux is a good challenge, especially in the wind, but not as much fun, nor as pretty as the dune based courses.

Had a not good experience at Omaha beach - detailed in another thread here, so I can't recommend them.

Is that the person who drives him around in a car or does he talk to his golf clubs?

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hardelot -Pines and Belle Dune are both first class. Could try Wimereux too if you fancy some links action. Very open and wild with some interesting WW2 Pillbox type offerings too. Enjoyed Le Touquet courses but in my opinion Le Touquets duo are trumped by Hardelots due in an overall package.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
Enjoyed Le Touquet courses but in my opinion Le Touquets duo are trumped by Hardelots due in an overall package.

Drewster, have you played Hardelot Dunes since they butchered it? Until they made the changes to the course I would have agreed with your statement wholeheartedly but not any more. I hadn't played Le Foret course at Le Touquet for many years until last September and I was pleasantly surprised. It was far better than I remembered and proved a highly enjoyable challenge.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is Paris northern France? It is to me. In which case Id consider Le National, Ryder cup host, they've got a good deal on at the moment for next year.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Drewster, have you played Hardelot Dunes since they butchered it? Until they made the changes to the course I would have agreed with your statement wholeheartedly but not any more. I hadn't played Le Foret course at Le Touquet for many years until last September and I was pleasantly surprised. It was far better than I remembered and proved a highly enjoyable challenge.

I don't think so . Played it last about 5 years ago. My lasting impression is that it was a tough walk but very good and not far off the pines. From your butchery comment i suspect that it has probably been altered somewhat since then !!!!

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
I don't think so . Played it last about 5 years ago. My lasting impression is that it was a tough walk but very good and not far off the pines. From your butchery comment i suspect that it has probably been altered somewhat since then !!!!

Just a bit! They've sold off a load of the land to build more houses. There are now 6 par 3's. You may recall that the 18th was a great par 5, downhill with a pond protecting the green if you were going for it in two? It's now a shortish par 4 as you tee off at the top of the hill. It's a real shame to see what some "architect" has been allowed to do to a one great golf course.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just a bit! They've sold off a load of the land to build more houses. There are now 6 par 3's. You may recall that the 18th was a great par 5, downhill with a pond protecting the green if you were going for it in two? It's now a shortish par 4 as you tee off at the top of the hill. It's a real shame to see what some "architect" has been allowed to do to a one great golf course.

Absolutely , i do remember it . A great hole !!!! That sounds terrible and such a shame and i can now understand your posts on here. I still think Les Pins is superb though.