Golf Course reviews please for a golf weekend

myoung19

Hacker
Visit site
Organising a golf break in July for a group of friends spoke to Golf Breaks and the following were suggested and would welcome any views and opinions of the courses - good and bad

Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club, Surrey
De Vere Wokefield Park, Berkshire
Best Western Ullesthorpe Court Hotel & Golf Club, Leicestershire
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort, Lincolnshire
Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester - Five Lakes, Essex
Crowne Plaza Hotel Heythrop Park, Oxfordshire
The Essex Golf & Country Club, Essex

We are based in Milton Keynes Bucks and so feel free to suggest any other venues that will be 1.5 hours journey away if you can think of any better ones.

Thanks

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Forest Pines is a very good set up. Three loops of 9 (Forest, Pines and Birch) of which the Forest Pines set up is the best. Really good par 3's, testing par 4's and lovely par 5's. Greens were excellent last time I was there. Would choose this option if I were you as far as golf courses go. Night out in Scunthorpe is a nother matter altogether.....

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Head a bit further east to Suffolk for a couple of very good heathland tracks. Woodbridge GC and THorpeness GC. Both excellent course and good value.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could have a look at Greetham Valley. About the right distance away, hotel on site, 2 full 18 hole courses and a par 3 course. Nearby village has 2 good pubs, one with excellent food and if you want something livelier then it is a quick taxi to Stamford where there are pubs, bars, clubs and restaurants.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played Wokefield Park a few times but it is probably 3 or 4 years since I was last there.

It's a decent track, generally in good nick with a good range of challenging holes, plenty of water, large bunkers, large undulating greens, dog legs, and penal rough.

However there's something about it which I can't put my finger on but I can never really warm to the place. It always feels like a bit of a slog. Quite a few up hill approaches and I never seem to score well there which may be the reason.

18th hole is nice, club house is fine and decent practice area.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Essex is a nice flat course but there is only one course on site so only good if you want to play it twice. Five Lakes has one good course and an awful course. The lakes is the good one the Links is the bad one. Have a look at Stoke by Nayland. Two very good courses(Gainsborough and Constable) and they have just opened their new lodges this week.