Golf Course Closed again

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We are one of the very few courses in the region to have had 18 holes open for all but 4 or 5 days this winter though a month ago 3 & 4 were shut & a few days ago joined by closure of the 18th. With permanent buggy paths around the whole course folk can continue to play using buggies & trolleys on them, whilst most folk just carry. Yes, its a bog in many places but with our new permanent tee mats & use of fairway mats everywhere we have been able to continue play in a reasonably (considering the weather we've had) effective way.
The ability to play throughout the year is considered a big bonus by most of the members who accept that in the main season the general course condition will be inferior to other local Members Clubs which have been closed or very heavily restricted for quite huge amounts of time. It's a case of horses for courses as we certainly don't enjoy those 'manicured. touches that are expected of Members Clubs & there is a lot more 'traffic' late afternoon & evening in the Summer.

Yeah full buggy path is a big plus. We have more than 10km of concrete path round the course. Not just for players though, greenkeepers can get their machinery/mowers anywhere on the course without even touching the rough let alone risking damage to fairways no matter how much rain there's been

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Closed here again today. Climate change is really starting to get on my wick.

Edit : I see the European Court of Human Rights agrees, and my human rights are being violated. I still havent been able to submit even one qualifying round yet this year.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
I'm heading up to Scotland on Thursday for a week's golf road trip.

Even if the courses are open, according to the forecast, I'm not sure how playable it'll be.😭

Where are you heading? Forecast is meant to be improving up here.....certainly milder and drier than it's been, though a bit breezy.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Just read there's a heatwave on the way this month apparently! Believe that when I see it. Based on how the year's gone so far just 2 consecutive days without rain is probably considered a heatwave now.
Is that after we get this?😂😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was due to play golf in Southampton tomorrow but have given up on the idea

Was originally booked into paultons park, they were confident 2 weeks ago they would be fully open and dry

Even today there are 2 holes closed and 2 shortened

Looked at isle of purbeck but even there has 2 holes closed

@SteveW86 kindly offered us to play his club but even he suggested we give it a miss. If I hadn't already paid for the hotel I'd of cancelled the trip so instead we going to indoor golf sim to least get our golf fix

Mad amount of rain down there

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Is that after we get this?😂😂
The Express :rolleyes:

My neighbour came out one day and told me that we were going to have the worst winter in over 800 years. I asked him where he had got that pearl from, The Express.

I explained to him that as the forecasters don't appear to be able to forecast beyond 2 days in advance and that as there were little or no records for the weather from 800 years ago, it was quite likely they were telling porkies. They were.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My neighbour came out one day and told me that we were going to have the worst winter in over 800 years. I asked him where he had got that pearl from, The Express.

I explained to him that as the forecasters don't appear to be able to forecast beyond 2 days in advance and that as there were little or no records for the weather from 800 years ago, it was quite likely they were telling porkies. They were.

Someone once explained to me why they can't predict the weather in the UK well enough compared to America, all to do with the fact they track our weather over the sea rather than land and any change in wind etc can completely change the forecast where as America can track those storms to the minute almost (which we will no doubt see this week at Augusta)

So id agree. This"heat wave" could easily be a snow storm

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Received our monthly Greenkeepers report yesterday, in it he stated that, Covid apart, our Course had been closed for 44 days due to weather in the 5 year period 01 Oct 18 - 30 Sep 23.

From O1 Oct 23 we’ve been closed for 60 days, closed again today, make it 61.

This one post sums up just how bad this winter has been.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Did you not notice the 2 laughing emoji’s ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Barassie on Friday. Looks wet.
Nairn Saturday, 40 mph winds!
Castle Stuart Sunday/Monday more wet...
Kingsbarns Tuesday. Who knows.
Nairn and Castle Stuart both drain well so you will have no worries about playing. we had a decent weekend though windy and yesterday was really nice, but the next few days are just heavy rain. i lashed it down all night and most of today, more due tomorrow. CS very much depends on where the weather is coming from. Nairn Usually misses the rain if its a westerly

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It's the 40 mph winds for Nairn we have our eye on. We're playing with a member who lives in Aberdeen and he didn't sound too keen this morning! (If it's that windy 😁😁)

We're due to play T Aberdeen before Kingsbarns, but I forgot to list it.

Best road trip I've been on on years, and the weather is going to screw it up!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's the 40 mph winds for Nairn we have our eye on. We're playing with a member who lives in Aberdeen and he didn't sound too keen this morning! (If it's that windy 😁😁)

We're due to play T Aberdeen before Kingsbarns, but I forgot to list it.

Best road trip I've been on on years, and the weather is going to screw it up!
Nairn is fairly OK in the wind as its out and back, if its a westerly. ive played in much stronger than 40mph there. easy ish holes into the wind 1-3 then 5-7, 9 into but a short hole then its plain sailing home.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Nairn is fairly OK in the wind as its out and back, if its a westerly. ive played in much stronger than 40mph there. easy ish holes into the wind 1-3 then 5-7, 9 into but a short hole then its plain sailing home.

I'll tell our host that 😁😁

I've been to Aberdeen, but never been round to Inverness. Really looking forward to it.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Due to play my first roll up since the end of November tomorrow, however unless trollies are allowed it won't be happening. Played Winter Hill yesterday and the conditions (apart fro slow greens) were near perfect.