Golf club snobbery

U

User62651

Tssk....That shot isn't worthy of a 'club on the wall' situation imo. Yes it was a pressure shot for sure but -

1. he didn't find the green, it came up way short. From a very good lie too.
2. he didn't like the shot he hit, watch his reaction - seems very unimpressed with the strike, little fat perhaps but got enough of it.

The next shot was the great shot, tough chip which he got fairly close.

Last edited by a moderator:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't say I'm fussed either way, it was afterall only a few months ago. Give it 50 yrs and I may have slightly more interest but even then I can't say that a replica or real thing would change that either.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Tssk....That shot isn't worthy of a 'club on the wall' situation imo. Yes it was a pressure shot for sure but -

2. he didn't like the shot he hit, watch his reaction - seems very unimpressed with the strike, little fat perhaps but got enough of it.

I think it's more a case of it was the start of him settling down and winning the Open. I personally think that it was a huge pressure shot that settled him and ultimately played a huge, actually decisive part on where the Claret Jug went.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

He wasn't happy with the line. He thought he hit it too far right. The strike was good.

I don't think Geller did a great job of actually pointing out the line before he hit.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Its the shot that everyone will remember when talking about his open win in years to come.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Call it memorable because it may be one of the last times a player is allowed to take 20 mins over a shot before shot clocks come into play.

My memory of that shot is sympathising with Kuch at how cold/tight he must have gotten while speith hopped around the titleist truck.

Plaque on the wall for Kuch for the display of sportsmanship to smile about and move on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At least he was honest saying it was replica.

Christy O'Connor, apparently, has sold his 2 iron (Belfry shot) several times over.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn't have had better placement for the tour truck. Bit like the Nike tick on Tiger's chip. One of those moments that an advertising company would struggle to better.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I turned up at Royal Birkdale the other year when I was playing Hillside and was nattering to the pro and getting along well. Bought a few bits and pieces and asked if I could look in their Open memorabilia room next to the bar to be curtly told you can only go in there as a member or a green fee paying visitor. From that perspective alone I'm in the who cares camp

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Call it memorable because it may be one of the last times a player is allowed to take 20 mins over a shot before shot clocks come into play.

My memory of that shot is sympathising with Kuch at how cold/tight he must have gotten while speith hopped around the titleist truck.

Plaque on the wall for Kuch for the display of sportsmanship to smile about and move on.

Yep, that 20 mins to compose and reset made all the difference, he was like a boxer on the ropes until that point

D

Deleted member 16999

I don’t get the point of sending a replica.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I turned up at Royal Birkdale the other year when I was playing Hillside and was nattering to the pro and getting along well. Bought a few bits and pieces and asked if I could look in their Open memorabilia room next to the bar to be curtly told you can only go in there as a member or a green fee paying visitor. From that perspective alone I'm in the who cares camp

In same vein - was shown by a North Hants member the Justin Rose memorabilia room (actually the committee room) fascinating.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its the shot that everyone will remember when talking about his open win in years to come.
You would struggle to find the plaque on the spot where he played from though!

Replica is pants!

Went to Sawgrass last year and they have all the clubs the champions have donated no replicas there I think.