Golf club decision!!!!

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Been playing golf for around 9 months however have really struggled with the 3 wood (15.5 deg). Unable to hit off fairway well and not get much more distance than my 18 deg hybrid. I've been thinking of removing it from the bag.

This leads to the question about shaft flexes in my hybrids. My 18 degree is a stiff whereas my 23 deg is a regular. I would like the shaft flexes to match, however do any of the GM regulars mix and match shafts in their hybrids (I know one regular shaft may be stiffer than another's stiff shaft).

I've been looking second hand and there seem to be very few regular shafts up to 20 deg and above that very few stiff shafts? Do the longer hybrids tend to have stiffer shafts? My driver is a stiff as I tend to swing faster with that.

Thanks for your help in advance.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slower swing speeds can't generate enough speed to get the most from lower lofted hybrids - hence the availability of stiff shafts 20 degrees and below versus regular at 23 degrees and above.

I don't think it's advisable to have different shafts so if you can match the shafts that would be better. Do you know your swing speed with driver?

Edit - answering rather than asking a ? in here is unlike me so hopefully the real experts will be along to help soon!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are both hybrids the same brand and model?

If not list the shaft make/model/weight and you should get playing details,

Regarding availability, generally lower lofted hybrids are used more by mid to lower handicappers who generally use stiffer shafts, higher lofted hybrids such as 23/25* more common in mid-high cappers who use as a 5/4i replacement

Last edited:

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
One is a diamana regular shaft on the 23 degree Cleveland DST Launcher hybrid. The other is a Miyazaki 59s on a Cleveland Mashie 18 degree.

Thanks for your help!

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tbh 3 wood off the deck is not an easy shot,I'd stick to 3 wood off the tee if you're driver is misbehaving,so keep it in the bag.
As for flex,I think your on the border of reg/stiff,the reg shaft you have is a made for not a proper diamana where as your Miyazaki is genuine and plays truer to flex.
I'd go with the rescue you prefer and get a matching one