Golf Buggies and the Rules

Kevan

Visit site
Recently I was playing in a Saturday medaL Due to various injuries one of my playing partners and myself decided to share a buggy. Our 3rd hole is a par 5 where there is a steep downhill at around the 300 yard mark. We were travelling to find our balls after our second shots when I inadvertently drove over my own ball such that it became plugged on the fairway.
Please could you confirm what the ruling is for this occurance?

Later in the round my colleague then played a shot that actually hit the buggy as it was stationed near the following tee.
Please can you confirm what the ruling is for this occurance?

There were numerous debates in the 19th hole after the round about if and what the penalties should have been.

Is a buggy constituted as part of one's equipment and if so how does this apply if 2 players are using the same buggy.

many thanks
Kevan

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the answer to the status of the cart when being shared is set out in note 2 to the definition of equipment in the rules.

with respect to your direct questions -

you were driving the cart when you caused your stationary ball to move therefore rule 18-2 applies and the ball must be replaced before being played. As you didn't know the exact lie of the ball before it was run over you would drop the ball to replace it. One penalty shot applies under 18-2

when you fellow competitor struck his ball, which was deflected by the cart it is his ball involved and the cart is deemed to be his equipment at that time. rule 19-2 applies and the ball is played as it lies. one shot penalty.

Kevan

Visit site
Many thanks for the prompt response

What would have been the ruling if my colleague was driving the cart and ran over my ball?

thanks
Kevan

Recently I was playing in a Saturday medaL Due to various injuries one of my playing partners and myself decided to share a buggy. Our 3rd hole is a par 5 where there is a steep downhill at around the 300 yard mark. We were travelling to find our balls after our second shots when I inadvertently drove over my own ball such that it became plugged on the fairway.
Please could you confirm what the ruling is for this occurance?

Later in the round my colleague then played a shot that actually hit the buggy as it was stationed near the following tee.
Please can you confirm what the ruling is for this occurance?

There were numerous debates in the 19th hole after the round about if and what the penalties should have been.

Is a buggy constituted as part of one's equipment and if so how does this apply if 2 players are using the same buggy.

many thanks
Kevan