golf ball question

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
When is a golf ball at the end of its life in what condition is it done for not to be played again, I know deep cuts will have an impact on performance but would scrapes from bunker play diminish the performance too

User20204

Visit site
I have always wanted to see someone do a comparison test between a new and a well played ball, genuinely surprised no one has done so, particularly the likes of Crossfield etc or MGS.

I recall during the season getting out two balls, one brand new, one not so and hitting them off the tee, both I felt I middled, both struck, IMO the same, the new one went approx 10 yards further.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally a ball is no good when it’s core is damaged.
Cosmetic damage is not a problem. Except big cuts.
It gets hit at 100mph by a steel hammer ,I am surprised they last so long really.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The trouble with a well used ball at this time of the year is that is very noticeable that mud sticks to it more easily. If that is mud picked up on landing it is going to affect roll.

My own thoughts are that any bad scuffs must affect the ball flight in some way but whether or not that is serious is one for the testers.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting so unless there is a big scuff (not sure what size I dime is) they dont drop in performance, main reason I ask is I now have over 60 prov 1 that iv found some have a little scuff no deep cuts and I was hesitant to use them, I might start using them over the winter, I commented on crossfields channel and he read and liked it so hopefully he might do a comparison

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago leather balls stuffed with feathers flew all over the place.
Golfers soon realised that used ones flew straighter this is where dimples originated.
If I have remembered correctly.