Golf abroad...or maybe not...

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
after much digging and quoting for a 3 night golf trip to either Malaga or Algarve...the best price i have gotten in circa £600 (400 + 200 spending) This is a wee bit too much for some of my party...its kinda tough for me to justify spending £600 in the currrent economic climate....so i need your suggestions on where else we could go...?
Thanks

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hire a self catering cottage in the west country near a nice course and go for it.Twighlight rounds at this time of year are cheap and fun

We take a week off every year and head down to Dorset.

Total cost- about £500 each

that includes

hire of cottage(about £200 each at this time of year based on two)
fuel there/back and scooting around (in a big thirsty 4bee)
food(mainly self catering but with say - two nights out for a ruby)
booze (pub - every night apart from the eve of return)
golf fees

cottage would probably work out cheaper per person if you're in a group rather than a couple e.g four people in our cottage would be £100 a week each etc.

Watch out for price hikes during school holidays which seem to push up rental costs by as much as 40% and they get booked well in advance.

weve often used someone like english country cottages combined with an AA golf guide.

most places have short three or four day break option too which would work out cheaper overall but of course more expensive pro rata.

have fun :rolleyes:

B

birdieman

Euro is too strong, US dollar is very weak - maybe you could look to the US for a golf break?
Besides you get hot dogs and beers after every 4 holes in the US despite the fact you're in a buggy!
I'm sure there must be plenty of the less well known courses in the US that don't charge a fortune for green fees ie miss Florida, South Carolina, Arizona and California, anywhere else should be ok cost-wise.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good point on the U.S.A.

My pal went to South Carolina last year. Return flights, 10 days accommodation, car hire and 3 rounds of golf cost £600.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Dorset advice is good,however have you looked at the middle/eastern Algarve. Try around the Tavira area there are some fantastic courses opening around there.

You could also try something like the trip I am going on in June.

Staying at The Inn On The Green in Bude, bed and breakfast included.

Travelling Thursday,playing Bude in the pm.

Playing 36 at Royal North Devon on Friday.

Playing 18 at Bowood on Saturday.

Total cost before dinner and booze £195.00

Medal Winner
Visit site
you should get fixed up at the home of golf scotland
theres a wide choice of very good courses,and accommodation
3636 billy

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've just come back from our third annual "50 Not Out" tour, this year, in northern France, (As you hit the big five oh, it's your turn to organise the tour)

This year it was over towards Reims, last year it was Belgium (near Waterloo), and 1st year it was in France but closer to the coast.

For your money you got a channel crossing, two nights B&B in 3 or 4 star hotel, plus three rounds of golf. Absolutely brilliant value each year - this year just £220 a head. (£230 last year). Courses alone would have cost about 60-70 euros per round if you just turned up. Obviously this not including dinner & beer and has been mentioned, euro is strong at present. Can get 3 nights - four rounds if you want for just a bit more. Obviously, also, you need your own vehicles and really need to be within striking distance of Dover/Folkstone (furthest people of our party were Herts & west of London)

Anything with a flight in it these days just jacks up the price.

As also said, there's always the country of the games birth just next door - with enough golf to keep you entertained until hell freezes.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you want to stay in the UK Iheartily recommend Ashbury Manor near Okehampton. They normally advertise in the back of GM so check them out

If you are with a group then this is a great place. Golf isn't fantastic - good enough, bit short, but the food other activities and everything on your doorstep is just superb.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We take a week off every year and head down to Dorset.

Interested to hear where you choose to play - we have some good courses in this neck of the woods.

We like Cheddington Court near Beaminster and hope to play Bridport next time (as I caddied for someone on holiday there when I was a lad.) There's quite a loonie par 3 with a huge drop to the green on there if my memory serves me well and I would love to have a go at it (mumble mumble) years later.

We stay in a village just north of Dorchester. Local hooch namely Brannoc is the stuff of dreams.

Can you recommend a good pro shop in West Dorset? Always good to find one for the odd holiday impulse purchase. Yeovil golf club isn't that far away but just wondered if there was somewhere near Dorchester.

Bit worried about the news that thers been a bit of a landslide along the coast yesterday. Classic (and stunning) Jurassic coastline - be a shame if its badly damaged

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We stay in a village just north of Dorchester. Local hooch namely Brannoc is the stuff of dreams.

Can you recommend a good pro shop in West Dorset? Always good to find one for the odd holiday impulse purchase. Yeovil golf club isn't that far away but just wondered if there was somewhere near Dorchester.

Bit worried about the news that thers been a bit of a landslide along the coast yesterday. Classic (and stunning) Jurassic coastline - be a shame if its badly damaged

Billy - Afraid I'm a tad further east - can't help on the Pro shop front, sorry. If you are staying near Dorchester I'd recommend Came Down Golf Club for a round. Fantastic views, great greens, really friendly club house. We play our big society Summer meet there every year and it's a definite highlight.

Don't worry about the landslide, it just uncovered a25 year old refuse tip... :(

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Billy - Afraid I'm a tad further east - can't help on the Pro shop front, sorry. If you are staying near Dorchester I'd recommend Came Down Golf Club for a round. Fantastic views, great greens, really friendly club house. We play our big society Summer meet there every year and it's a definite highlight.

Don't worry about the landslide, it just uncovered a25 year old refuse tip... :(

Tah.

Yep, were almost as far west as it's possible to go .

Came Down looks a cracker but it's one of the ones off limits to us at the moment as weve joined a new home club fairly recently and haven't got around to getting an H/C cert. yet. Save that one for next time.

Anyone venturing out this way (including the OP) might find this useful

http://www.golfdorset.co.uk/

I picked up the paper version from a TIC the last time I was down there and there are a number of others available on Devon and Somerset for example.

Prettymuch all the clubs in the AA guide for Dorset are expanded on in this guide.

Glad to hear the slide hasn't caused any problems.

bill

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
[/QUOTE]

That looks quite good actually! Are there any local pubs within walking distance or would taxis be required?

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it is in the middle of the country and the nearest village is miles away.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you'd rather go abroard for some sun, look at one of the newer destinations like Turkey or Tunisia. Great courses, good prices and relatively quiet courses compared to Algarve or Costa Del Sol.