Going off the boil for golf (for now)

V

vkurup

Recently am starting to sense that I have hit a plateau in golf. The handicap has been oscillating between 18 and 19. I havent made an golf purchase in over a year (except a replacement bag). Too many other distractions around work, house, family etc.

All these things have always been on the horizon, but what is changed has been the attitude. Played medals this week, and I was alright tee-to-green, but the greens were so wobbly that you could not do anything. Atleast 5 putts should have gone in, but changed direction after hitting the cup or jumping over it. After the 4th hole where I shot a quad bogie, i just stopped trying. It has never happened before in a comp. Finished the day with a nett 82.

I was looking fwd to Blackmoor tomorrow, but have to skip it due to work. In the days gone by, I would have still managed it, but not this time. Every year I sign up to the Nike/Volvo thingi during the discount period, but not so sure this time. Havent read last month's golf mags. If it was not for the forum, I think I would be further down the pan.. I sense a bit of a break coming up, or a lucky bounce somewhere or a big purchase to reignite. Not a good sign when the season is about to get underway.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a shame, but at the end of the day we play this game for fun and if you aren't feeling the love then maybe a break is the way to go.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Recently am starting to sense that I have hit a plateau in golf. The handicap has been oscillating between 18 and 19. I havent made an golf purchase in over a year (except a replacement bag). Too many other distractions around work, house, family etc.

All these things have always been on the horizon, but what is changed has been the attitude. Played medals this week, and I was alright tee-to-green, but the greens were so wobbly that you could not do anything. Atleast 5 putts should have gone in, but changed direction after hitting the cup or jumping over it. After the 4th hole where I shot a quad bogie, i just stopped trying. It has never happened before in a comp. Finished the day with a nett 82.

I was looking fwd to Blackmoor tomorrow, but have to skip it due to work. In the days gone by, I would have still managed it, but not this time. Every year I sign up to the Nike/Volvo thingi during the discount period, but not so sure this time. Havent read last month's golf mags. If it was not for the forum, I think I would be further down the pan.. I sense a bit of a break coming up, or a lucky bounce somewhere or a big purchase to reignite. Not a good sign when the season is about to get underway.

I hope you don't feel im out of line here but these type of posts wind me up.
Imo its just a cry for help someone looking for someone to say don't worry mate
the mojo will come back.

Ive just had a mate die last Friday he was very poorly for months,was still
playing to recently and never moaned once.
He would love to be in your shoes and have the chance to play again,and he
would be happy.
Theres plenty worse off mate just man up and get out there.

V

vkurup

the mojo will come back.

would be happy.

Sorry to hear about the loss mate.. I agree a lot of worse out there.
I think a break after the monthly s/f next week... Supporting the Kiwis and India at the cricket WC, which is more cheerful and then the Masters.. No more golf till May.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the mojo will come back.

would be happy.

This.

I have always taken golf seriously, maybe too seriously, however, after a downturn in form last year, I am beginning to just laugh at it, and enjoy the craic. Enjoy the weather, enjoy the playing partners, and enjoy the laughs. Man up, suck it in and just hit shots. You are off 18 or 19, so should know you aren't going to be shooting level par every week, and you could have a tendency to shoot 100 still...just embrace that fact

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate, i have played like a right chopper for ages, my last 2 rounds combined i have shot a whole 30 pts😭. I can not see it getting much better but i continue to stick with it . The people i play with know to take cover when i am stood behind the ball. I am playing blackmore tomorrow and have no doubt that i will duff, fat,thin and play anything apart from a good shot.
To me this is a hobby and i will do my best to enjoy it. What you need is a round with me mate and you will think you are the world number 1😆

V

vkurup

Mate, i have played like a right chopper for ages, my last 2 rounds combined i have shot a whole 30 pts😭. I can not see it getting much better but i continue to stick with it . The people i play with know to take cover when i am stood behind the ball. I am playing blackmore tomorrow and have no doubt that i will duff, fat,thin and play anything apart from a good shot.
To me this is a hobby and i will do my best to enjoy it. What you need is a round with me mate and you will think you are the world number 1😆

We did play Camberley last year.. that was the highpoint of my season.. :)

D

Deleted member 15344

You don't seem to help yourself ?!

Where you not the one posting like an excited teenager with regards the Benross Comp and being the Face of Benross ?

A week later and not getting picked and you now going off the boil in regards golf ?

Looks like Benross swerved a big hole

V

vkurup

Where you not the one posting like an excited teenager with regards the Benross Comp and being the Face of Benross ?

A week later and not getting picked and you now going off the boil in regards golf ?

Benross was a good outing.. the slide in form started before that. I was hoping Benross would be 'lucky break' to get back to form.

I agree with the observation, I seem to turn into a hormonal teenager when it comes to golf.. I am only 5 years into the game, still learning. Another 5 years and I will stop being so temperamental about it....

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having a similar issue. My wife has planned loads of things to do at weekends and so i am getting out once every 2-3 weeks and that after only playing twice in 2 months. Not getting out enough to play in any way decently so i am finding it frustrating on the course. Hopefully i can play more in April and get that feeling back

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes there are more important things in life and we should put things into proportion, however I can understand your frustration and disappointment. I've been going through the same process and have become really frustrated, particularly when you put the work in. However this in itself can cause problems. Maybe like me you're thinking too much about the swing and too much info going through your mind.
I've been thinking too much of where the arms and hands should be during the backswing. Ive now simplified the mind and just come back from the practice area happy with how things have gone.
Maybe as I said you need to clear the mind.
If as someone says you want reassurance then I'll give it to you, it will come back, eventually.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm playing twice a week at the moment (back injury notwithstanding), and despite playing to within 2-3 shots of my new handicap (cut to 13 4 weeks ago), I feel like I'm hacking around.

Game golf stats tell me that Im hitting enough FIR and GIR, but my scrambling stats, sand saves and putts per hole are all abysmal. Putting used to be the best part of my game, but I just don't seem capable of holing anything outside 6 feet for ages now.

Very very frustrating as qualifiers start in a couple of weeks and I know if I can get the short game back to where it was last year I'll be looking at some decent handicap improvement this year. Last year my driving was below average, I didn;t hit many greens from 100yds or more out, but my chipping and particularly putting earned me many a buffer and a couple of decent cuts.

My solution.......spend a couple of hours a week on the putting green, chipping green and re-reading the Rotella series of books. I know the improvement is in there, its just a case of finding it.

I'd rather be coming off the course with 33 odd points and knowing I haven't holed a putt, because Im confident that with a bit of practie I can recapture my putting mojo and get the handicap down when the qualifiers start.

And as a final thought, a bad saturday on the golf course is infinitely better than a saturday spent shopping with Mrs Break90.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Very harsh. There was a very good reason behind the Benross campaign and Tiger's actions (and the others) and unfair to say Benross swerved a hole. I'm sure those selected aren't all flushing it perfectly now or right up until the event