GM forum development - your thoughts please

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to throw another spanner in the works.

This forum should remain essentially as is - all new posts should start here.

There is one exception - a separate Sales and Wants.

Other than that, a spill over so that, for example, the car and football posts (sorry guys but it gets boring!) that start and remain off-topic can take their threads across, (maybe call it Fantasy Land if you think Spurs are going to win anything).

One final thought, anyway of setting up a subject key-word search - if there isn't one already. That way we can play catch-up or add to existing threads rather than starting afresh.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brendy, what I actually meant was to keep the forum the way it is, but for the popular posts like this one allow all the posts to be on the one page, a bit like a google search, most people only read the first page.
By the way what course are you a member of, I am also from NI, a member of Spa, Ballynahinch.

julsk10. To display all posts in a thread, open the thread, go to the bottom and select ( show all )

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
i use an angling forum and that is split into various sections ie
competitions
venue advice
gear advice
gear wanted
gear for sale
non angling subjects
jokes/funny stories
etc
it doesn't indicate how many new threads just the newest or how many posts/replies just the most recent so i often have to trawl through pages and pages to find stuff of interst. if it was to be split i personally would keep it very simple with just a few sub headings...its a tough call but remember divide and conquer.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good comments, Viscount. Agree about the sales section. And brendy, I see your point but I just think that, having had a look at a few of the American sites which have gone down that route, that they have been diluted rather than improved by doing so.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agree with Viscount, maybe introduce an off topic section for whoever wants to chat about non golf things with golf minded people and a sale/swap section but keep the main golf talk in one place - personally wouldn't like to see it split out into different subjects.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Yes, I'm all for splitting it too. Allthe best forums have this as they grow and it's a natural development.

One feature that's much more user friendly than the "active topic" button is a Since You've Been Gone icon. This allows you to catch up on everything you've missed should you wish too.

I'm also a big fan on a sale/swap section.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can understand the view that splitting the forum would dilute it and risk the good atmosphere that has built up over the last few months but can also see a time where a good post is started in the morning and is off the first page by the afternoon. Perhaps the answer would be to bring a thread to the top of the page when it is posted on then the popular threads would remain in easy view.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mike

Have to agree wit J_F entirely on this point. I tried Todays Golfer's forum (I have already given myself a stern talking to) and frankly after nano seconds I was dazed and confused.

Everything is here in front of you. I agree it is sad when a hot topic is shunted off the front page but I regularly scan page 2 especially if it is a thread I started just to see how much reaction my post got.

The best suggestion I have heard is that if a post gets a hit it automatically transfers back to page 1(I presume in these hi tech days these things are possible??). That way it encourages people to delve past the first page and keep lively, interesting and dare I say even controvesial (custom fitting anyone) threads alive

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great Idea Mike, I just hope you make it as easy as possible for all to use.

Thanks gor the prize it arrived yesturday and I cant wait till the good weather to wear them on, I will feel right royalty knowing where they came from

Cheers Mike

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anything like that would drive me away, add a for sale section other than that site is good.

Better to leave it and come to Blairgowrie instead Mike.:D ;)

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think it should be split, apart from a Sale/Swap section.

I like the randomness of the posts. I've been on other forums with various sections, and I don't like them

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would like to see the forum given a face lift but am not in favour of multi room formats as this just becomes cliquey and dividing. At the moment the forum is very busy but as it did lasy year, it will calm down and steady itself.

I would like to see avatars working, and also additional icons such as thumbs up/down and yellow and red cards to bee shown to abusive members insulting or name calling people. Some golfing icons would be good.

We could also make thread rating on following ratings

Excellent thread ... Eagle
Great thread ....... Birdie
Good thread ........ Par
Poor thread ........ Bogey
Shite thread ....... Double bogie

I think the buy/sell section is good in theory but who would police it if someone bought a fake or damaged item. It could bring ebay shops onto our forum thus saturating the relevant forum and bastardising the web site.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I think the buy/sell section is good in theory but who would police it if someone bought a fake or damaged item. It could bring ebay shops onto our forum thus saturating the relevant forum and bastardising the web site.

You have a very valid point there Andy. The only way to stop a mass-marketplace would be a limit on items a person can sell in a set time-scale but even this would be difficult to police. What is to stop some scrot infiltrating the forum and trying to offload his brand new TM Superquad driver that he got on ebay for £39 (as if) that turned out to be fake, to somebody purchasing in good faith.

A can of worms has firmly been opened on what, in its simplified form, would be a good addition to the forum but with further consideration could be a liability.