Gloves

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi, I have a couple of questions about gloves.

A) How long should they last? How many rounds and/or range sessions do you expect to get out of a single glove?

B) Does the wear pattern tell you something which you might be doing wrong? Or if it is the wrong size?

I have used the one in the picture for about 4 rounds and 2 range sessions and I am not sure I got enough usage out of it.
E82D66A0-75C3-40DA-99B1-7FB5DED2C0AB.jpeg
Probably should have binned it a week ago, will take a new one for Thursday.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You should definitely get more wear out of. Size could be an issue but perhaps not that big a problem. I have small hands and so get small gloves and mine wear at the same point on the pad. I am pretty certain it is a grip issue and my teaching pro has told me in the past that it comes off the club on the back swing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yes def showing a fault, was the same a few years ago when a glove lasted about the same amount of rounds, now i have to chuck the thiing away as its minging rather than wear. current one played about 30 rounds... going in the bin soon:sick:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wear/tear on the palm is a grip issue. I only know that as I used to have the same. During a lesson the pro changed it slightly and now I don't get that wear at all. I can't quite remember the change as it is second nature now but I think I now have the club more in the fingers, less the palm. Bobmac can probably confirm as it's a technical one.

I now get a season out of a glove and the change is because of all round wear / dirtiness rather than palm wear as you have it.

That must be costing you if it is in that state after such a short period.

Incidentally it doesn't signal that you should change, your grip may be working. I'm only commenting on what has caused the wear ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
According to Paul Foston, a GM top 25 coach, wear on the palm suggests gripping too high up on the clubs grip.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
In this weather, take it off between shots.
But I am having a shot every 30 to 50 yards ;-(

I actually got into the habit of taking it off just after lockdown ended but now reverted to keep it on, usually do what the pp is doing. Will try with the next one, especially in the green.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think my glove generally lasts 3 or 4 months before I replace it. I don't get wear on the palm though, maybe more on the side of the thumb - or I'm just replacing it because it got wet too many times and lost its softness.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It's a grip issue. Two years back, I could start fraying a glove in one round and rip through it in a week. I went for a lesson to resolve my pull hook, the grip was the first thing he changed. Currently have a Callaway leather glove in use that I started using in September last year, not a nick on it, just a bit of discolouration from the grip colour.

See this post for pics of my grip change, that is the same glove I'm still using, and still the same condition.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Played with a new glove today, 9 holes, taking the glove off in-between shots if it wasn't after a shank (which were plenty today).
I did grip down a little, not letting teh end of the club (Arccos sensor) rubbing the palm.
It's not showing any signs of usage at all.

Lesson coming up later this week and I am going to ask him to review my grip. I need him to build my confidence up from the bottom anyway, might as well spend a minute on holding the club again.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
lost my glove down my bag today so had to break out a new one.
I can see it, but can I get it out? No. It's just down the bottom somewhere.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
This is the new glove 4 rounds in, I used a cheap charity glove on the range
8A9AF81F-4185-4D11-8FA4-164803998FFF.jpeg
All I did different is gripping down a little, but I am much more aware on holding it right. Especially with the driver I feel that I am holding it much more solid and secure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is the new glove 4 rounds in, I used a cheap charity glove on the range
View attachment 31981
All I did different is gripping down a little, but I am much more aware on holding it right. Especially with the driver I feel that I am holding it much more solid and secure.
Gripping down will help get the club more on in the fingers and should result in less rubbing and also make the club feel more secure as you've found. Should help in terms of ball strike