Getting used to new irons.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
How long does it take you to get used to new clubs? I've recently changed from a set of Cobra baffler irons (Big, heavy and lots of offset). To some nike pro blades, because I love looking down at them.

The Problem (it's not massive) but since changing, my flight shape has changed. Before with the bafflers it was a very high draw, which went a long way and landed relatively softly. However, it was annoying when it was very windy!

Since changing the flight is more driven, lower flight. Distance is slightly down, but that doesn't bother me. The problem i'm having is my shape has changed from a baby draw, to a slight fade. It's not a problem it's just something i'm going to have to get used to. I assume this is from having no offset compared to before, and also the heads weighing considerably less. My driver/woods/Hybrids have exactly the same flight as before.

Well, I genuinely hope you get into them. Big step going to blades especially coming from the bafflers. However, I know quite a few guys who use them, blades that is, and they wouldn’t part with them. I would expect the ball to go lower coming from the Cobras so don’t let that bother you. I would question the S300, especially with blades, and I’ll bet the proper shaft for your swing, even though I don’t know what that is, could get the ball more in the air...if that’s what you want. In saying all that, Lee Trevino won a load of majors and he ran the ball in.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've bought off the shelf and I've been fitted. The fitting I had for the G25 and subsequent I25's on the monitor had me borderline stiff shaft but I wasn't convinced they were for me. In the end I compromised and got them hard stepped.

what does 'the monitor had me borderline stiff' mean? a certain swing speed = a certain stiffness?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Had another range session today, used some impact tape to work out what was happening. Used my 3 iron for 50 balls, impacts were generally good, obviously I duffed a few! They were still fading slightly.

I then hit the other 50 cranking up the swing speed. The fade was gone, and they were going straight or a slight draw, which was much better. Sadly I don't think my body will allow me to use that swing speed every day, and also i cuffed a few more as I was trying a bit too hard.

Think i'm going to go back to the bafflers, sell the blades and loose a tonne of money, and see if another set come up with reg shafts. Failing that i might treat myself to some New Vapor Blades next year. (my old man is moving to the US and they are super cheap over there! I'm gutted that these didn't work out, as they are so pretty. I always thought I could adapt to new clubs, but these I think are too much for me.

What does confuse me, is when I was fitted for a driver. The fitter using trackman said I should definitely be using Stiff shafts, and could even go to x if I wanted. Why haven't these worked out!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Had another range session today, used some impact tape to work out what was happening. Used my 3 iron for 50 balls, impacts were generally good, obviously I duffed a few! They were still fading slightly.

I then hit the other 50 cranking up the swing speed. The fade was gone, and they were going straight or a slight draw, which was much better. Sadly I don't think my body will allow me to use that swing speed every day, and also i cuffed a few more as I was trying a bit too hard.

Think i'm going to go back to the bafflers, sell the blades and loose a tonne of money, and see if another set come up with reg shafts. Failing that i might treat myself to some New Vapor Blades next year. (my old man is moving to the US and they are super cheap over there! I'm gutted that these didn't work out, as they are so pretty. I always thought I could adapt to new clubs, but these I think are too much for me.

What does confuse me, is when I was fitted for a driver. The fitter using trackman said I should definitely be using Stiff shafts, and could even go to x if I wanted. Why haven't these worked out!
Have you tried simply making your grip a bit stronger to stop the fade? :)

Last edited:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Don't beat yourself up man. Can you not go to a good club fitter who can maybe give you a go with a similar bladed club but with changeable shafts. There should be a shaft out there that will get the ball up in the air. Maybe you just need some time with them, expecting too much too soon.

One thing, reading the above, you tend to be going for a club even before you try them............I might be wrong, but I would pull back from that. Been there.............

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
Take it there's no way to go to a club fitter with both sets, ask him to swap the shafts over then sell the old heads with new shafts? Pretty sure that although the blades will be harder to hit, the shafts are the issue.

Closing the club face a tad as suggested above will obviously sort out the fade so you could try that but it will launch the ball lower. How's the launch on the new irons right now? Could you live with a lower launch?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
According to the monitor my swing speed was on the cusp of being fast enough to use stiff. Didn't like them and so got the regular shafts hard stepped instead

What was it that you didn't like? have you ever used stiff shifted irons in the past? Was there a noticeable difference in distance or dispersion?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Most game improvement clubs, as you have been using before, are designed to combat a slice (90% of amateur golfers do tend to slice). Seriously suggest that you persevere with your new irons for a while and it will come! :)

Last edited:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

You need to factor in shaft weight and club length; flex isnt the whole story. Driver shafts tend to be light and long, where as steel ones are obviously shorter and heavier; both could be labelled 'stiff' but in reality are poles apart. Even within steel shafts, stiff wont mean too much unless weight and length characteristics are known (to get the frequency match value). For example, its possible that a heavy reg steel shaft will play the same as a light x-stiff.

Get to a proper club fitter to get the right shafts for the blades, should you want to fork out for the upgrade.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;DJ180629AYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ180629AYw&index=1&list=UUFHZHhZaH7Rc_FOMIzUziJA[/video]

Another video of this fella rob busting his longest drives with a shaft he wouldn't normally even consider. absolutely no problem launching the ball.

Good showing from the Mizuno jpx 850.

Last edited:

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Just thought i'd update this. My swing has sorted itself out after 500ish balls. I'm certain it was due to how light the heads are compared to my old Cobra's. Which would make me swing more from the outside.

Distance is down noticeably from the cobras also. But the ability to change the balls height and flight outweighs this for me.