Getting rid of yellow penalty areas

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So went to the EGU presentation at the club. They believe that more and more clubs will implement the same (ie all reds) change to simplify things. When pressed they thought that the second on our course probably should be a yellow, and a couple of others (water by green on 3rd and 13th could easily make a case for it. But overall they have no problem and it is the clubs choice. The club representative said they were keen to promote consistency, pace of play and ease of understanding across the membership. No intention to introduce max score or the out of bounds/lost ball stuff locally though.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So went to the EGU presentation at the club. They believe that more and more clubs will implement the same (ie all reds) change to simplify things. When pressed they thought that the second on our course probably should be a yellow, and a couple of others (water by green on 3rd and 13th could easily make a case for it. But overall they have no problem and it is the clubs choice. The club representative said they were keen to promote consistency, pace of play and ease of understanding across the membership. No intention to introduce max score or the out of bounds/lost ball stuff locally though.
As most UK clubs play a lot of stablefords and the h'cap system is presently based on s'ford, max score is somewhat irrelevant

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
As someone who is new to the game could some explain to me the difference between red and yellow areas and what rules apply to each? Cheers.

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
We have red penalty areas on our course with OOB on the opposite side of the ditch. On two of the holes you can hit over the dog leg pitch OOB and roll into the hazard but our committee have failed to amend our local rules allowing relief on the opposite margin. What would be you as players be their preferred choice in this scenario
1.move the OOB at least 4 is 5 meters to allow for a drop on the point of entry.
2.add the relevant local rule for all red penalty areas allowing relief on the opposite margin.
3.leave as it is and have players that know the rule to go back in line but this may take you back over a 100 yards in some cases.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
We have red penalty areas on our course with OOB on the opposite side of the ditch. On two of the holes you can hit over the dog leg pitch OOB and roll into the hazard but our committee have failed to amend our local rules allowing relief on the opposite margin. What would be you as players be their preferred choice in this scenario
1.move the OOB at least 4 is 5 meters to allow for a drop on the point of entry.
2.add the relevant local rule for all red penalty areas allowing relief on the opposite margin.
3.leave as it is and have players that know the rule to go back in line but this may take you back over a 100 yards in some cases.
Do all of the players know the definition and significance of "known or virtually certain"?

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
As players had 'opposite' relief before and presumably understood it. Introduce the LR for those holes.
I’m not a fan of local rules personally but this is what will probably happen throughout the course as we have water coming into play on 18 holes 👍 I’m definitely going to ask if all but one penalty area are marked as red if this is the result.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not a fan of local rules personally but this is what will probably happen throughout the course as we have water coming into play on 18 holes 👍 I’m definitely going to ask if all but one penalty area are marked as red if this is the result.
You would only need the LR for those holes that needed opposite side relief of course.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Logically I would have thought that it should be no 3.

My reason is that, as presented, there is an internal OOB designed to influence players not to try and drive over the dogleg (for a reason) so no 3 is the only answer consistent with that.

If my premise is false then simply remove the internal OOB.

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
You would only need the LR for those holes that needed opposite side relief of course.
I agree but I feel this would just confuse things for players not really knowing the local rules it’s bad enough now with players not sure of what’s right and what’s not.
Less local rules easier to play within the rules ?

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
Logically I would have thought that it should be no 3.

My reason is that, as presented, there is an internal OOB designed to influence players not to try and drive over the dogleg (for a reason) so no 3 is the only answer consistent with that.

If my premise is false then simply remove the internal OOB.
Removing the internal OOB would cause significant danger to players playing the previous hole as it’s a severe open dogleg. My preferred option is going to be to move the OOB 2 or 3 metres.
Let’s see where I get with it it applies on 2 holes specifically 👍

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Removing the internal OOB would cause significant danger to players playing the previous hole as it’s a severe open dogleg. My preferred option is going to be to move the OOB 2 or 3 metres.
Let’s see where I get with it it applies on 2 holes specifically 👍
You have confirmed my perspective on the reason for the OOB. Struggle to understand why you would then wish to take a step that encourages players to put those other players at this significant risk.