Getting rid of a chicken wing

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have had a video lesson and one of the many things highlighted was a chicken wing on my follow through, now as my next lesson is in the new year and my pro has told me that I also need to work on my hips rotating too much on my back swing, and not powering through on impact. I have been working on my hips which has reduced the chicken wing but would a training aid help or is it a case of keep working at it? Or are their any drills to help. My pro is going to go through it with me next week but I cant wait lol.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The trouble is the chicken wing is a result of another fault which causes the chicken wing.
The left elbow (RH)comes away from the body to hold the clubface open to stop the ball going straight left.
Fix the swing path and the chicken wing will go.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Bob, so the chicken wing could be cured by working on other things. My pro told me to concentrate on my hips, and my grip, my impatience wants me to work on everything at the same time.When he checked my hips were square at address and impact, in fact my body was in virtually the same position in both situations ;-(

painterboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe you're not releasing the clubhead through the ball. Try not to hit the ball with your shoulders(heaving) and concentrate on releasing the hands through the hitting area.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The chicken wing is a cure so dont fix it

The swing is out to in so the clubface HAS to be held open to stop the ball going straight left. To hold the clubface open, the left elbow (RH) HAS to come away from the body so causes the chicken wing.
So if you leave the out to in swing, you need the chicken wing.
Fix the path and the CW will fix itself.
If you fix the CW and not the path, you will be in the left dung all day

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another potential cause of the chicken wing is the body action. It's often seen in chipping, if the body stops turning; which is why working on clearing your hips through impact may benefit you some.