Getting a Handicap

sm17

Visit site
Hi,

Total newbie here who has had a set of clubs for years but is only just taking up the sport. My only experiences of playing are the odd pitch and putt games and driving range visits years (and years) ago. I went to the range last night and spent a bit of time on the putting greens to get a bit of practice in.

My goals at this stage are to get a few 18-hole rounds in at a couple of local courses and eventually get a handicap. I was wondering, how do I go about getting a handicap and when should I get it?

I've read a couple of articles on calculating your own but have also heard that to get a handicap you need to do 3 rounds with a member of your local course and use those scores. Can anyone offer any advice? I am guessing that my first would be 28.....

D

Deleted member 15344

First thing is you need to be a member of a golf club who will then be the ones that look after your HC

Then play three rounds with a member who will sign your card

When the three cards are entered the HC committee will award you a HC after checking the three cards including adjustments for stableford and it will normally be the lowest of the three cards

sm17

Visit site
Great, thanks for clearing that up. I'll look in to membership once I have a bit more experience under my belt.

D

Deleted member 15344

Great, thanks for clearing that up. I'll look in to membership once I have a bit more experience under my belt.

A lot of clubs are doing get into golf or starter academy style memberships which include lessons etc - possibly look to see if there are some clubs near you that do that

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome along, until you join a club there are plenty of online places such as golf shake that will give you an idea of where you are handicap wise.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi,

Total newbie here who has had a set of clubs for years but is only just taking up the sport. My only experiences of playing are the odd pitch and putt games and driving range visits years (and years) ago. I went to the range last night and spent a bit of time on the putting greens to get a bit of practice in.

My goals at this stage are to get a few 18-hole rounds in at a couple of local courses and eventually get a handicap. I was wondering, how do I go about getting a handicap and when should I get it?

I've read a couple of articles on calculating your own but have also heard that to get a handicap you need to do 3 rounds with a member of your local course and use those scores. Can anyone offer any advice? I am guessing that my first would be 28.....

TBH if you are only just starting, forget about the handicap for a while. Go out and do your 18 holes, enjoy yourself, play more, get better (pos with lessons as well), by all means join a club or play local muni's etc.... Think about a handicap later on not straight away. With handicaps comes the pressure of trying to better it in competition conditions. You don't need that extra pressure as you'll be putting enough on yourself when you are initially starting. Once your settled playing, then get your handicap.

Go out and play.

*Edit* - Oh aye, welcome to the madhouse.