General Play

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played in a fourball the other day and we all wanted to put a general play score in, myself and one other pre registered before play and entered our score after the round with no issues.

However for some reason the other 2 couldn’t get a signal and decided to play then hopefully get a signal and enter their scores when they returned.

After the round they did get a signal and proceeded to enter their scores they got to the final stage but couldn’t go any farther, it caused them a lot of confusion as the end result was they got penalized for not returning their score.

Now Im wondering if this is due to the fact that they didn’t pre register but one player said this can’t be the case as the previous week him and another player at a different course didn’t pre register and just entered their scores when they finished the round.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My thougts are simple -

does your club not have other ways of registering.

We have a PSI terminal just a few yards from the first tee, we can use the EG app (pretty poor with some phones) or the IG app

So if one system does not work you can use another.

wjemather

Visit site
I played in a fourball the other day and we all wanted to put a general play score in, myself and one other pre registered before play and entered our score after the round with no issues.

However for some reason the other 2 couldn’t get a signal and decided to play then hopefully get a signal and enter their scores when they returned.

After the round they did get a signal and proceeded to enter their scores they got to the final stage but couldn’t go any farther, it caused them a lot of confusion as the end result was they got penalized for not returning their score.

Now Im wondering if this is due to the fact that they didn’t pre register but one player said this can’t be the case as the previous week him and another player at a different course didn’t pre register and just entered their scores when they finished the round.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.
General play rounds must be pre-registered for handicapping. Your club handicap committee should have a procedure for doing this, preferably with multiple acceptable methods to allow for software and/or mobile network coverage issues, but simply telling your playing partners is unlikely to be one of them.

Since your two playing partners did not register before play, the committee should simply delete the record from WHS. Any scores that have been successfully submitted without pre-registering should also be deleted.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My thougts are simple -

does your club not have other ways of registering.

We have a PSI terminal just a few yards from the first tee, we can use the EG app (pretty poor with some phones) or the IG app

So if one system does not work you can use another.

We are only a small club and the only other way to register is by the main computer in the office which we don’t have access to , the SG app worked perfectly for me , my main question was why did it work for 2 of us and not the other 2.

Is this because we pre registered and the other 2 didn’t.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's probably due to their not pre-registering. However, were you actually playing a Four Ball or were you simply playing as four individuals?
If the former you should be aware that CONGU have ruled that "scores from 4BBB or teams types events are not acceptable at all even if pre-registered".

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are only a small club and the only other way to register is by the main computer in the office which we don’t have access to , the SG app worked perfectly for me , my main question was why did it work for 2 of us and not the other 2.

Is this because we pre registered and the other 2 didn’t.

My experience at my own club is that it comes to the phone. I have great trouble using mine where I play and have given up on for the EG app, others appear to have no problems.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's probably due to their not pre-registering. However, were you actually playing a Four Ball or were you simply playing as four individuals?
If the former you should be aware that CONGU have ruled that "scores from 4BBB or teams types events are not acceptable at all even if pre-registered".

We did throw the balls up and pair up to have a side bet so I suppose we did play a four ball.

Didn’t know you can’t enter a general play score if you do that so won’t in future.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 25172

General play rounds must be pre-registered for handicapping. Your club handicap committee should have a procedure for doing this, preferably with multiple acceptable methods to allow for software and/or mobile network coverage issues, but simply telling your playing partners is unlikely to be one of them.

Since your two playing partners did not register before play, the committee should simply delete the record from WHS. Any scores that have been successfully submitted without pre-registering should also be deleted.

I wonder how many clubs actually follow this.We certainly don’t. I usually decide if I’m gonna hand a card in about 30 seconds before teeing off, and then get the EG app up and running and off we go.

wjemather

Visit site
I wonder how many clubs actually follow this.We certainly don’t. I usually decide if I’m gonna hand a card in about 30 seconds before teeing off, and then get the EG app up and running and off we go.
Registering your intent on the MyEG app (or HDID, IG, etc.) would satisfy the requirement, as long as it is done before the first tee shot.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have sympathy as our cell phone signal is patchy at best. We do suggest people use PSI if they can't get a signal or in extremis tell the pro before setting off.

I do worry with the increasing reliance on cell phone applications we are going to get more problem with poor signal strength.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But playing s casual 4 ball where each player puts out on each hole and where advice is not given or taken would be acceptable wouldn't it?
I can only quote the words from CONGU. Are you playing as two 2 man teams?
"scores from 4BBB or teams types events are not acceptable at all even if pre-registered".

wjemather

Visit site
But playing s casual 4 ball where each player puts out on each hole and where advice is not given or taken would be acceptable wouldn't it?
The rules for 4BBB extend beyond advice, e.g. a partner may take many actions on behalf of the player and accordingly, a partner's actions can result in penalty for the player, etc.

For a score to be acceptable for handicapping, the rules of individual stroke play must be adhered to. If a pairs (or team) side game is being played, that is probably fine, but it's best not calling it 4BBB (or by the name of any other non-acceptable format) so at to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding.