Garmin Watch V SkyCaddie

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Guys

I've currently got one of the Garmin Approach watches. It's a 4 year old model and I'm just finding that I now want something with a bigger screen. The garmin is great for stat tracking etc but I really like the look of the new SkyCaddie in terms of the larger screen etc.

Does anyone out there use SkyCaddie? I'd want something where I could still record some stats and scores and I don't know how the SkyCaddie devices are for that. I see they also come with a subscription fee whereas the Garmin doesn't.

Any experience or feedback on these would be great!
Cheers

D

Deleted member 15717

I have the SX500, and it is a great piece of kit. Battery is superb, screen is superb. Yes, there are subscription fees but as in life I believe you do get what you pay for.

The SkyCaddie does have stat tracking ability if you want to use it, and it will sync back to the SkyGolf site so you have a permanent record of them. I don't use the stat tracking, as I utilise the Golfshake site for all my stats

D

Deleted member 16999

Plenty of threads on here debating Skycaddie etc.
Skycaddie does all you want and is the only company that actually walks the courses so the information is more accurate. GPS is the same accuracy regardless of make, course imagery can be be old and inaccurate.
Yes you pay for skycaddie membership, but only you can decide if it’s value for money for you.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had skycaddies for years and swear by them. Got the SX500 now and it is an amazing bit of kit, little on the bulky side, but it's a joy to use.

My playing partner is using a Garmin and tbh it's not too bad. There have been a few occasions when the Garmin has read 5-10 yards difference to my SC and when I laser it the SC tends to be within 1-2 yards of the laser.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use the Approach X40 which has the option to keep a scores and you can upload the data from a round.

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
I use the Approach X40 which has the option to keep a scores and you can upload the data from a round.
cheers - yeh I currently use one of the approach watches and have done for 4 years or so but just feel like I'd prefer something with a bigger display now. The new SkyCaddie seems well thought of.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I have a Fenix 3 Garmin watch and find the read out to be large and very clear.
Battery is good for about 3 rounds.
Maybe be worth testing if you can or the Fenix 5

(Side note: I was an avid laser user and only recently changed to using a GPS watch, I already had it for kitesurfing and thought I'd try the app out. I rarely use the laser these days and prefer using the watch)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use a GPS (Garmin G8) which is great for giving a basic over view of the hole (ideal for away courses) and a Suoaki laser from 100 yards and in. I'm working hard on my wedge play and distance control and so I prefer the laser for more accurate distance measurements. As the Suoaki is less than £100 it's not really a bank buster