Garmin S20 Approach Watch

D

Deleted member 16999

I use Garmin Connect to log all my fitness training, not used it for golf, excellent tool which is improving all the time.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like the look of this too, but I have an S3 at the moment, but have been tempted to upgrade to the S6..
Not used Garmin Connect before, but having very recently downloaded it, it may be just what I need

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
This looks really impressive.

Does it automatically upload your data to the app as you're playing, or do you need to do it post round via PC or something?
I've been looking for something like this for ages, but most of the other ones require connecting to a PC to analyse the stats.

D

Deleted member 16999

This looks really impressive.

Does it automatically upload your data to the app as you're playing, or do you need to do it post round via PC or something?
I've been looking for something like this for ages, but most of the other ones require connecting to a PC to analyse the stats.

Their fitness watches sync to the Connect app wirelessly once app is opened on phone after your workout, if you want to sync to connect on computer it's either via usb or bluetooth, so they have the technology and I would imagine anything else would be a step back.
Once it's uploaded to connect it's synced across all platforms.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not getting good reviews on Amazon :

i have recently purchased (from another site) a Garmin approach s20 golf but it has loads of issues.

1. Garmin connect mobile does not show any stats and has not done so for a while (not a watch fault but takes away from having the watch)

2. when you have the S20 connected with your phone via Bluetooth it will delete the round. You must NOT have it connected with your phone via Bluetooth but that takes away from the notification feature on the watch (is known by Garmin they said don't connect with phone until they sort it)

3. i have uploaded my clubs via Gear in connect to my watch. When i play a shot on the course the auto shot asks me which club i used which i input. however once i save the round and download the info via Garmin express onto connect and view my round and the AutoShot round analyser on the web site it show different clubs than what i inputed so i have to change it all again if i can remember which club i used.

The watch itself is good however loads of bugs with it.

it looks like Garmin just threw it out to market without fully testing everything. i was going to purchase the Truswing but not now as disappointed.

anyone else having the same issues

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not getting good reviews on Amazon :

i have recently purchased (from another site) a Garmin approach s20 golf but it has loads of issues.

1. Garmin connect mobile does not show any stats and has not done so for a while (not a watch fault but takes away from having the watch)

2. when you have the S20 connected with your phone via Bluetooth it will delete the round. You must NOT have it connected with your phone via Bluetooth but that takes away from the notification feature on the watch (is known by Garmin they said don't connect with phone until they sort it)

3. i have uploaded my clubs via Gear in connect to my watch. When i play a shot on the course the auto shot asks me which club i used which i input. however once i save the round and download the info via Garmin express onto connect and view my round and the AutoShot round analyser on the web site it show different clubs than what i inputed so i have to change it all again if i can remember which club i used.

The watch itself is good however loads of bugs with it.

it looks like Garmin just threw it out to market without fully testing everything. i was going to purchase the Truswing but not now as disappointed.

anyone else having the same issues

Hopefully this software update http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=10005 will address these issues.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have used the S20 for 4 rounds. It is my first GPS. So lets address the two main points.

(1) GPS. I cannot say this is for all GPS systems, but I take what it says with a pinch of salt. I have stood on 150 yard course markers and the S20 has said a few yards either way. I have also stood next to the official marker on a tee and the distance reads different. I have had playing partners with a Bushnell and other GPS watches and we all read different yardages either from the tee or fairway. The GPS on the screen is basic - front middle back and to hazards which is useful. It does not map out the hole for you ie doglegs. So I tend to use it as a guide rather than trust it 100% as an accurate yardage reader.

(2) The shot tracking. Upload the Garmin Connect onto your PC. It doesn't give the full benefits on an iphone. (Or if it does, In cant figure out how to use it) I can see the courses I have played individually or total rounds in summary - GIR, FIR, Putts missed fairway left right, average on Par 3,4,5. It also gives you analyses if you play the same course week in week out and works out what you should be able to score. Score card on the watch is easy to use. You can also see how you have played each hole on the PC afterwards when you have synced - distance, line and club. So I can see my longest drive, where I need to improve etc. For me it works well. You just have to accept the limitations of the system.

However, there are two real pains in the arse for me with this watch. (1) it doesn't always record your shot which is maddening when you have hit a screamer and (2) it only seems to record normal golf play not stableford. (again, I might be able to change this, but cant see a way yet.)

It is comfy to wear. I do not wear it on my glove hand as the buttons kept getting hit by the glove. Battery lasts well - at least two 4+ rounds easily done. Tracks the number of steps as well as telling the time, which is always useful! If you do Bluetooth it, you get read your texts (and emails I think) as well if you really want to.

For me, I also use it as a focal point to start the pre shot routine.

So all in all, I like my S20. It does what I need although a few niggly little issues with it. And it does help my game both whilst playing and analysing afterwards.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
(2) The shot tracking. Upload the Garmin Connect onto your PC. It doesn't give the full benefits on an iphone. (Or if it does, In cant figure out how to use it) I can see the courses I have played individually or total rounds in summary - GIR, FIR, Putts missed fairway left right, average on Par 3,4,5. It also gives you analyses if you play the same course week in week out and works out what you should be able to score. Score card on the watch is easy to use. You can also see how you have played each hole on the PC afterwards when you have synced - distance, line and club. So I can see my longest drive, where I need to improve etc. For me it works well. You just have to accept the limitations of the system.

Is it like Game Golf in that you have to 'tag' it before each shot, including putts, or does it work out your putts from the score?

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is it like Game Golf in that you have to 'tag' it before each shot, including putts, or does it work out your putts from the score?

Not like Game Golf. No tagging. You have to tell the watch to register the shot and somehow it knows when you've actually hit the ball. It knows when you get on the green and when you enter your hole score, it asks you how many putts you have taken and you then manually enter the figure.