Garage build costs

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have an old prefab concrete single standalone garage (1980s villa style house). Its not big enough (wide) for a car so its my workshop for now.

I want to flatten it and replace it with, I suppose you'd call it a 1.5 garage at 4m x 6m with a single door and a shallow pitched roof with felt shingles rather than tiles.

Quoted £15000, seems a bit steep for an uninsulated, unheated structure.

Any ball parks on what it should be? Got more quotes booked in for next week but just interested in opinions on what to expect.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
About ten years ago I demolished an old steel/asbestos garage and replaced it with a timber frame/block built garage/workshop. Somewhat over engineered it has a full length tanked inspection pit and is capable of housing four cars with ease. Centrally heated with running water and electric radiators it is cosier than the house. Back then it cost circa £30k for the demolition and rebuild including asbestos removal. Taking building cost inflation at 5% pa, then your £15k doesn't seem unreasonable, but get quotes and compare. You could also consider demolishing the existing garage yourself.

3FPTbMB.jpg

VFYzUl5.jpg

BxuhA9K.jpg

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t have said that seemed overly expensive. Still got footings to dig and waste to get rid of which isn’t cheap. Don’t forget you may need planning or buildings regs to satisfy.

Mandofred

Visit site
About ten years ago I demolished an old steel/asbestos garage and replaced it with a timber frame/block built garage/workshop. Somewhat over engineered it has a full length tanked inspection pit and is capable of housing four cars with ease. Centrally heated with running water and electric radiators it is cosier than the house. Back then it cost circa £30k for the demolition and rebuild including asbestos removal. Taking building cost inflation at 5% pa, then your £15k doesn't seem unreasonable, but get quotes and compare. You could also consider demolishing the existing garage yourself.

3FPTbMB.jpg

VFYzUl5.jpg

BxuhA9K.jpg
Whoa...........a garage that's actually big enough for a car!! I wouldn't need the pit, but I like it anyway. Being American.....we like our garages.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn’t have said that seemed overly expensive. Still got footings to dig and waste to get rid of which isn’t cheap. Don’t forget you may need planning or buildings regs to satisfy.

Waste disposal yes, but if they get a skip (or I hire a RORO then that's only £300) then it shouldn't cost that much.
Footings exist so would only need a small additional trenching dug out.
No need for planning as it would meet ancillary buildings permitted development (might be slightly different here in Scotland).

Our 4x4 extension was £22k and that has a tiled roof, needed complete dig out, is insulated, plastered, massive windows and plumbing run for CH radiators.

Just surprised me that £15k by comparison for a 4x6 unheated, uninsulated, felt roofed block building would only be £7k less.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

What on earth are you thinking - room for 4 cars ???

It should have a fully fitted out golf set up with Trackman ??

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Waste disposal yes, but if they get a skip (or I hire a RORO then that's only £300) then it shouldn't cost that much.
Footings exist so would only need a small additional trenching dug out.
No need for planning as it would meet ancillary buildings permitted development (might be slightly different here in Scotland).

Our 4x4 extension was £22k and that has a tiled roof, needed complete dig out, is insulated, plastered, massive windows and plumbing run for CH radiators.

Just surprised me that £15k by comparison for a 4x6 unheated, uninsulated, felt roofed block building would only be £7k less.
I have no idea on what footings yo have, but I would have thought a pre cast concrete garage would have just been mounted on a concrete slab, with minimal if any footings. I know when my 2 precast concrete garages were replaced by a single double garage, the footings had to be the same as a double extension.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, after a few conversations with a couple of mates yesterday I am going to takle this myself (well, not entirely).
I will demolish and dispose of the old garage myself (RORO skip hire £450). Dig out and relay a slab (£500). I forgot that my mate's brother is a brickie so he is going to do the blockwork (rather than brick), blocks will cost about £850 and he is charging me £1000. His mate will render it for £1000
My wife works for a company that makes OSB boards for the roof and I can get them for £100 for all that I need. Joists will cost £400 and another mate's BiL does EPDM that he will do for £1000 inc the facia and guttering.
Door will cost me £500 for a simple up and over.

Then inside I can just do the internal battens for putting plasterboard on.

So the whole works should come in around £6k.

I am not in a rush to get it done so I can take my time in doing it.

RORO arrives next weekend to start the demo.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was thinking of demolishing out I insulated double garage and replace it as part of the kitchen extension. Initial estimate were 45 to 60k for the kitchen alone.
In a radical departure, asked a SIP company which is a Kingspan SIP contractor - they quoted 20k for the structure!! It comes prefab and fully insulated. Might be worth considering but won’t beat the 6k

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One suggestion. We had an up and over door and changed to a roller door, manual. So much easier to lift, you can also park your car right up against it as you don't need to allow space when lifting. Worth thinking about.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
One suggestion. We had an up and over door and changed to a roller door, manual. So much easier to lift, you can also park your car right up against it as you don't need to allow space when lifting. Worth thinking about.

Car never goes that far down the drive. Equivalent roller door was £450 more expensive for little to no benefit.

willie12RB

Visit site
CliveW, well, it looks awesome. And I think that £10k - is the price, that would be okay for such garage. When I do any extensions for my house, including garage, I prefer to build them in the specific architect style. Listed building architects article which is located on reliable construction resource can help in choosing an exact model for your potential extension of the house. They also have a lot of options about building a new house, from the scratch.

Last edited:

DCB

Visit site
Bear in mind your skip hire may not cover all the waste costs. Worth checking exactly what is covered. Know someone who ended up with £800 additional costs for mixed load disposal.