game improvement clubs question

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys im just having a look at some clubs online, and of course ebay has popped up as a place for some great deals. but my question is will game improvement clubs be the same from like a few years ago as the are now?? like some of the sets are from about 2004 but are a good price. so will they be of the same quality, obviously the actually quality of the irons wont be as good as new ones condition wise.

thanks in advance

JackDusty

Visit site
I would strogly recommend you go to somewhere that has a good reputation as a good teaching pro that has some measuring tech gear, it will be cheaper in the long run instead of buying 'cheap' blind.

Mizuno have a fitting centre in Glasgow that is FOC so a bargain. Another great place is Wellsgreen just outside Kirkcaldy he will charge you £40 refundable against a purchase, good choice of Manufacturers as well.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always buy old irons. I only ever had one "new" set and they were 3 season's out of date.

There's little or no difference between a Callaway now or 8 years ago. I couldn't comment on Ping, although I suspect the newer stuff is probably a little more attractive to look at.

I have a 19 (?) year-old set of Tommy Armour Silver Scott 845s. They're a bit small, but they are as sweet as ever.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Needs must when the devil drives.

Can't go too far wrong with an old Ping set like a G2 or G5. I can't see too many profound changes to irons in the GI category since then and if I was starting again that's the way I would have gone.

I would love to own a set of Mizuno clubs as there's just something very special about them but with the greatest respect to an earlier poster , personally I would urge caution when thinking that even the new JX800's could be genuinely classed as GI's.

Still, you may feel totally different about it

billyg

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go and find some MD Superstrong irons from about 5 years ago - they were really good looking clubs, and Blo**y good value, and most importantly blo***y good clubs.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yeah i mean i would love to go and get fitted for a new set and all that but i cant afford that at the moment. but i have been working prity much none stop for the last month or so, and had a look and there were some mizunos from a couple years agao for about £50 which i thought was good value, but was just wondering if there would be much of a difference between gi irons then and now.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say very little difference if looking at anything less than 5 or 6 yeas old. That was when u grooves, computer designed heads, forged cavities and light weight, higher flight shafts began to become more prevalent.

You'll see a lot of people on here using things like Mizuno MX25s or the equivalent vintage Callaway, TM or Pings and I doubt they would feel they are missing out too much.

There is more understanding now about the importance of getting the right shaft rather than just looking at head design so it is well worth getting some professional advice, even if you don't want to go for a full fitting, to get some idea of the right type for you.