Galvin Green

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
I was looking at getting some new waterproofs, be prepared and all that and was looking at the New Galvin Green collection and was wondering, are they really worth the money you pay for them? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Phil.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had mine for 12 years - still waterproof. Use the jacket for casual wear so its had plenty of use.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Long story short - if you keep them long enough to justify their cost, then they're just about worth it. I haven't seen any great designs or superior quality that would make them a cut above anything else, but you must at least expect them to last - and they more or less do this pretty well. If you switch your clothing a lot and leave them screwed up in your bag on a regular basis, then they're probably not worth the expense. Unfortunately, it's another consumer mistake assuming higher price means something extra, but I'm afraid Galvin Green fails to deliver on this premise. Great gear, but nothing a brand at a much lower price can't do just as well....and with a similar guarantee period.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Long story short - if you keep them long enough to justify their cost, then they're just about worth it. I haven't seen any great designs or superior quality that would make them a cut above anything else, but you must at least expect them to last - and they more or less do this pretty well. If you switch your clothing a lot and leave them screwed up in your bag on a regular basis, then they're probably not worth the expense. Unfortunately, it's another consumer mistake assuming higher price means something extra, but I'm afraid Galvin Green fails to deliver on this premise. Great gear, but nothing a brand at a much lower price can't do just as well....and with a similar guarantee period.

Don't agree. I think they are well worth the money. Best waterproofs I've had by a long chalk.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No doubt they are very good quality BUT I think other brands like Proquip and FJ offer equally good protection from the rain at a fraction of the price. I guess it's like anything and personal preference and whether you are happy to pay the price. Personally I'm not but that's just my choice

D

Deleted member 15344

Are they worth it - yes

There are of course others out there but of the ones I have had - ( FJ , Proquip ) the GG are a country mile in my opinion

ventura

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just bought a Berghaus jacket for £100 which I'm planning on using for golf as well as general wear.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/berghaus-mens-carrock-jacket-11110968?loc=sub

Uses the same gore-tex material as Galvin Green but a third of the price. Light weight and good fit to allow an easy swing.

Also bought some decent waterproof trousers in the past for around £30, much cheaper than golf specific brands and do the same job.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My take on GG is you need to look at how often you're going to use it.
Spending 300 quid on a driver sounds a lot, but if you use it 10 times every round then you're going to get your money's worth.
If you spend £250 on a GG jacket but you only play in the lightest of showers and then only half a dozen times a year then a cheaper alternative that still does the job is your answer.
GG possibly are the best and if you play regularly in rain then it would be worth the extra outlay - otherwise something from Proquip, Stubert, FJ etc etc will suffice

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
GG are great as has been said. Had mine for around 6 years or so and still as good as the day they were bought.

I can highly recommend the adidas Gore Tex range. Just as good as GG but you can pick up the jacket for £120 and trousers for £100. That's a suit for the price of a GG jacket.

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Adidas_Golf_Waterproofs.html

By contrast I bought last year's top of the range Callaway Jacket and trousers in the sales (jacket was originally £275 approx) and even though it has the same performance stats as Gore Tex, it is nowhere as good

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a GG jacket and it is by far the best waterproof I have owed. Very light weight, robust and looks quite good too so I use it as a casual jacket also if I think it's going to rain.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure the other major waterproof manufacturers give you a lifetime guarantee. If a GG jacket loses its waterproofing finish, you simply send it back to them for retreatment.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never heard a bad word said about Galvin Green and I guess unless you take the plunge and buy the gear you'll never know how good it is.

Ive used a Sunderland Jacket and Some Berghaus Trousers which I picked up from Go Outdoors for £34 and both have been fantastic over the last 5 years or so.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a set of Nike waterproof rugby training kit that I had from my playing days. Waterproof, light and tough as anything as they were designed for full contact training sessions. Had mine for 8 or 9 years and look like new despite not always being treated that well. I suppose what I am saying is that top waterproofs need not be golf specific to do the job

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think just golf online usually have Sunice tops on sale for around 15 to 20 quid a lot of the time. I think they are advertised as water resistant windshirts.

I got one a few weeks ago and it's fine for playing in light rain or occasional showers. Also it's quite a generous fit which is good for a fat lad like me so there's room to swing the club.

As already mentioned, if you will be playing a lot through the depths of winter in all weathers then GG is great value if you can afford them. But for me, 15 notes for a quality top that does the job in most of the weather I will be playing in is a steal.