gaining confidence to cock the wrists with the driver....

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
after posting my swing video on here and taking comments from 23rd man and bobmac to the range and course over the past few weeks, i feel my swing is improving.

one aspect that i can really feel improvement is through the cocking of the wrists and the extra whip and distance this is giving me with the irons. However, as soon as i get my driver out (or 3 wood but not as much) i feel reluctant to cock the wrists as much so am probably losing power and distance from the tee.

I do go for it occasionally and the results are impressive, but i do sometimes get it in my head that i'll run into problems when i do it.

At the range it's not a problem as it doesn't matter. Anyone any ideas to get past this mental stumbling block on the course?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Nope. I can't do it either. Massive wrist cock on irons, none on driver. That is just the way it is. I still hit a 270 yard drive into a slight breeze on Sunday though, so something must be right. No idea where it came from though. Not my usual distance at all.

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cant beat that feeling when you hit a truly massive drive. I will admit to posing just a little when it happens. Anyone else brave enough to admit it too?

I don't pose, but I do act quite nonchalent and smug when it happens. *Have* to really, it happens so rarely on the golf course!! :rolleyes:

Wilts

Club Champion
Visit site
Cant beat that feeling when you hit a truly massive drive. I will admit to posing just a little when it happens. Anyone else brave enough to admit it too?

I have a very annoying habit - whenever i hit a good straight drive whilst it is in the air i say "yep" dont know why i just do i turn round to see my playing partner on the floor laughing!

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are we talking about the releasing of the hands?

I hit a nice draw with my irons as i manage to release my hands perfectly.

With my woods I struggle though as I end up with a fade or sometimes a slice, i just dont feel i'm getting my nads back though the ball at impact.