Funniest golf tips

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just grip it and rip it

Similar to "Take it slowly back then give it a thwack!"
I seem to remember hearing this from Peter Alliss. (when he was in Wonderland).

Actually, it's guaranteed to work, provided you're not fussy about where the ball goes. A classical application of Newton's Laws of Motion.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Similar to "Take it slowly back then give it a thwack!"
I seem to remember hearing this from Peter Alliss. (when he was in Wonderland).

Actually, it's guaranteed to work, provided you're not fussy about where the ball goes. A classical application of Newton's Laws of Motion.

Nope!

While Newtons Laws DO apply (particularly the 1st 2), the laws of Inertia are dominant!

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Nope!

While Newtons Laws DO apply (particularly the 1st 2), the laws of Inertia are dominant!

I don't claim expertise on Newton's laws so correct me if I'm wrong.
The 1st law is the one of inertia. A body can be at rest, or moving with zero acceleration.
The 2nd law is when force is applied, producing acceleration.
The 3rd law is when one body exerts a force on a second body, producing a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

So when you place your ball on the tee or it is lying on the ground it conforms to the 1st law as it is inert.
The 2nd is when the clubface connects with the ball (actually the repulsion of the electrons between the clubface and the ball) producing the ball acceleration.
The 3rd is when the ball flies off in the direction determined by the hit. In my case, quite often a hook.