From just off the green - putter, utility or wedge?

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How often do you see average golfers attempting high-tariff shots (golf's equivalent of the triple Lutz) from just off the green when something far less risky is called for.

Try this simple experiment - find a 30 or 40 footer from just off the practice green, hit a decent number of shots with each of a putter, utility and wedge, then hole out as normal with your putter and count the cumulative number of shots it takes you to do this. If the putter doesn't win closely followed by the utility and then the wedge I'll eat my winter bobble hat.

(Remember - your golf club membership may be at risk if you try this at clubs where chipping onto the practice green is expressly prohibited!)

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It always amazes me how many amateurs want to pitch the ball high in the air even from just a few feet off the green. I thought the theory was always to get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible and let it roll out like a putt. That's what I try to do anyway.*

*Disclaimer: As a 20 handicapper, I am in no way qualified to tell anyone how to play this pesky game.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know where you're coming from but there's nothing like hitting a flop shot when you dont need to just to have a bit of a showboat

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But, there's nothing more annoying than making a pig's ear of it and either flubbing it about 6 inches or knifeing it about 100 yards.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite right, but I still know plenty of golfers who mistakenly believe it's the right thing to do - though quite how anyone arrives at a decision that could potentially turn bogey at worst into a cricket score is beyond me...?

And, Trueblue, how did the experiment go at the weekend?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Weather was so nasty where i was playing that I didn't do the experiment exactly as Furyk suggested but I did have good 15 mins on the practice green with the three clubs - after a while the utility performed really well, but I would like more time to get the feel of it, wedge was just like normal...so erratic - hit some stone dead and a load to about 10 foot BUT it was the putter that was the most reliable by far!

I am really intrerested by the flop-shot debate coz i grew up hitting chips over a pond and long grass etc so i find it really difficult to judge the chip'n'run so end up going aerial the whole time despite knowing that it's not the best option....any tips?!!