From driving range to course

pierreman

Club Champion
Visit site
have family visiting this weekend, so i took friday off to get a round in. Played awful after the first hole, terrible. Wondered why I play, whether i should give it up once my membership expired.

Went to the driving range today before the visitors arrived and everything work reasonably well.

This happens quite often. ie ok at range terrible on course.

My question/problem is, why is it so difficult to take my swing/form from the range to the course. :D

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pierreman,

My own theory on this is that you think about the trouble around you on the course but not at the range.

Try concentrating on your target and just swing. Hoepfully your brain will get your body to fly the ball towards it.

There's a great book called "Zen Golf" by Dr Jospeh Parent on mastering the mental game. Personally I find it always helps my game soon after I've read some of it.

It's all in the head, man.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really hope someone can answer this because I have the exact same problem quite often. When on the range I look like a good golfer but on the course I can't replicate my practice ground form.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
have family visiting this weekend, so i took friday off to get a round in. Played awful after the first hole, terrible. Wondered why I play, whether i should give it up once my membership expired.

Went to the driving range today before the visitors arrived and everything work reasonably well.

This happens quite often. ie ok at range terrible on course.

My question/problem is, why is it so difficult to take my swing/form from the range to the course. :D

Tell you what P - if you ever come up with an answer to that one how about we bottle it, sell it and split the proceeds? ;)

Just as soon as it's possible to bottle 'anti-nerves' serum were laughing.

pierreman

Club Champion
Visit site
Billy, this time next year we could be millionaires! Hope so, would be able to "try" to play more golf!!

John cheers for that will try and get my hands on the book. If it works though, could be the end of billy and my possibilities of becoming millionaires!!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hope it works for you, Pierreman.

I wasn't a great believer in these sort of books but this one seemed to hit the spot for me.

I couldn't (and still don't) understand why I play crap one round then play a blinder the next. My swing doesn't change. But I've accepted that my mindset does from one day to the other.

It has helped me accept the bad rounds and play more good (or at least more enjoyable) ones. Basically, don't hit a shot unless you know you're gonna hit it well.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
I'm with John on this. We hit the ball without fear on the range because there is nothing invested in a desired outcome. Plenty of other balls to make up for the bad ones. The bad ones on the course can ruin a round though so we're always dreading it.

Why do we get so upset if we hit a stinker? Because we're scared the next will be the same. If someone told you you were going to top your opening drive 25 yards then shoot 75 would you take it? Course you would. But if you didn't know that was going to happen you'd be s***ing yourself over your second shot in case it happened again.

If you can accept the worse that will happen (you'll lose a couple of balls and take 12) then it's easier to play without fear. doing this is another thing though and like any skill takes practice.

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
John Great post book is ordered trying to get my mental game better. Im guilty of this, ie, dont go in the bunker watch those trees etc.... good post well done

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Used to have much the same 'range / course' relationship. However I picked up this little tip. Don't hack out 20 drives etc down the range, but play your regular course, or invent one. Use a few balls to warm up with, then start off with a short par 4, ie. maybe a 3 wood followed by a 9 or wedge, then perhaps a lob wedge over the bunker onto the green (nearest pin on the range). The idea is to leave yourself with a 'par' putt ie within 4 foot of the pin! Now just invent your par 3's etc. Also when driving imagine the fairway in front of you, and not just the huge open space of the range. If you drive into your imaginary rough, then play your second shot as though you are in the rough. You'll only be cheating yourself!

This not only makes the range more interesting, but more realistic, and should help banish the course nerves. If you take a friend to the range try nearest the pin, straightest drive and even score your round at the driving range. It sure beats trying to nail 100 drives, and I think will be better for your golf overall.

I may not be a great golfer but I used to teach alot of sailboat racing, and believe it or not there's alot of similaralities!

Go and have fun!!