Freeview Recorder

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone know of any good deals for a good value freeview recorder. Brand not a problem, cheap and cheerful thanks to the CC. :D Feed up with nothing on the box. At least with a recorder you can get some good films to watch when you want.
Cheers

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you want to record to DVD disk or have an in-built hard drive?

If you want to record to DVD disks (I use the re-recordable type) then buy a freeview box (any, I like the Philips) for £30-40 and run the scart into a DVD recorder, then from the DVD recorder to the telly-box. I use a Sony DVD recorder, about £100 these days.

If you want to record to HDD (I have this as well) then be VERY CAREFUL INDEED with what you choose.
A PVR (freeview with HDD) is going to be between £100-250.
I bought a SONY one and it was so poor I took it back.
Most big companies make them but t.b.h. they are miles behind the two companies that pioneered these things, Humax and Topfield.

Try this link....

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores...tal+TV+Recorder

I have the Humax and it's good. I take stuff off all the time and IF I want to keep something and make the space, I record the program in real time to DVD.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Some of the cheap ones (Digivision, Nichimen to name two brands) are awful, noisy drives, overheating problems, crappy Programme Guides.

IMHO, the best for build quality are made by Panasonic but these are pricey and, strangely, usually only come with a single tuner. Humax seem to be reasonable although I have no personal experience.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Humax seem to be reasonable although I have no personal experience.

Forget personal experience....go with the Humax....it was the ONLY model to ever get a best buy at Which? until recently. Now they recommend only 3 makes....Humax, Tvonics and Sharp.....

Panansonic for TV's.....defo!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks folks. Im just wanting a simple freeview box that allow me to record to.

Is it true that an LG tv is a panansonic with a different case?

1) record to?....a freeview box on it's own doesn't record....you need to link it to a DVD or buy one with a built in HDD....in which case....just buy the Humax for Argos and be happy!!!

2) No......if this was the case, I think we'd know....LG are good (I have one, a 17" TFT) but not as good as Panasonic Viera or Sony KD series Bravia

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the BT vision set up and must say that i've been very pleased with . Unfortunately , i think you do need to be on BT broadband to get the box . Luckily , i was on BT broadband anyway and it only cost me £30 installlation.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I sorry I dont understand the HDD lingo???? I just want something like sky+ if that makes sense.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive/Hard Drive/Hard Disk.

I'm sure that sky+ utilises a hard drive in exactly the same way.....

I call my box a PVR.

A digital video recorder (DVR) or personal video recorder (PVR) is a device that records video in a digital format to a disk drive or other memory medium within a device. The term includes stand-alone set-top boxes, portable media players (PMP) and software for personal computers which enables video capture and playback to and from disk.

The equivalent of sky+ for freeview viewers (that's me) is a PVR.

Mine is a Humax Duovisio 9200T. If you want the model numbers of the other Humax and Tvonics and Sharp recommended by Which? magazine, I can do it.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Realgolfer,

Have just got a new exercise bike for upstairs and want to be able to watch some recorded TV/Football when on it.
Just going to look up Humax.

Thanks for clearing it up for me everyone.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We've got Sky+. Put off going for it because there was never anything on TV to watch. Friends kept saying how good it was, so I finally bit the bullet. We wouldn't be without it now!
But as soon as Freesat get their arses in gear and come out with the Freesat PVR I will be dumping Sky and going with that. Not so much channel choice (at the moment) but the ability to pump out HD without the expense of a monthly fee will be great.
I flatly refuse to pay Murdoch any more money
:mad: