Free Golf Lesson - American Golf

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
In some ways you are right but, take my AG, there is no one who plays off single figure handicap let alone appear qualified to give a lesson. The last club I " got fitted for " was done by a lad off 12 handicap and I spent the time analysing the results myself, he gave me the wrong hardcover and spanner too. They are very willing and friendly but should be properly trained to fit clubs or give lessons otherwise it is likely that the unaware will end up with the wrong clubs at a higher price

I think there’s a difference between fitting and teaching/ coaching. I’m not sure you need to be a single figure handicap to fit clubs. Fitting is about looking at numbers and matching data to tech, not necessarily trying to improve the technique or fix a fault in your swing. If you understand the fitting process and the data, I‘m not convinced you need to be able to play a good game - although I understand why people would expect it, and likely feel better about the recommendations if they know the fitter can play.

With coaching/ teaching I think you would expect the person to play the game at a good level In order to understand it. Although I’m not sure that’s totally necessary either, as some people can become good coaches despite not being particularly good at the game themselves. If they understand body mechanics and golf swing mechanics, and can communicate how, what and why to change, do they need to play single figures?

if they are a PGA professional, then it’s a different thing, they have to be single figure to qualify, but I don’t think there’s anything to stop them setting up as an independent golf coach without a PGA qualification.

with regards to AG and free lessons, most of their fitting is done by people trained to fit, but not all of the fitters are PGA professional, if they don’t advertise the free fittings with a PGA pro, then you get what you pay for...... oh wait.... I’m not having a go at you, or anyone else with that last sentence Chris, just reiterating it’s a ”free lesson” which folk seem to expect to be on a par with a lesson you get paying a PGA pro £50 an hour.

The free lesson offer is a sales pitch, a means to get people through the door to buy. If you take the free offer up, you can’t be surprised if they then try to sell you something, that is their job and what they are measured on. Fortunately, we are free to choose whether to go with their recommendations or not.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
It seems to me that, like any national chain, you get good AG shops and bad ones. My local one has got a pro (allegedly) who has always given me good advice. Over Christmas I went in to try the Cobra F8 driver that was on sale, and was very keen to buy it, but he pretty much refused to sell it to me, as it gave no benefit over my current driver. He also didn’t try to sell me anything else, saying that there would be a negligible benefit, and not worth the cost.

I go on quite often for balls and other bits and pieces, and have always given this level of service. I still don’t think you get the same levels of fitting you would get from a pro shop, but that could be more to do with the fact it is purely on a monitor in my AG, whereas at a tangle you can see the flight of the ball as well

sunshine

Visit site
Did you gain anything from the free lesson other than him advising a fitting session for new irons ? ?

Of course not :ROFLMAO:

Actually, to be fair he pointed out that I was setting up with my feet slightly closed. It's a fault that creeps into my game, so he served the purpose of an alignment stick (at a lower cost than the artisan hickory alignment sticks).

After some gentle questioning, he admitted that to become a "master fitter" at AG required no training whatsoever.