Free Golf Lesson - American Golf

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep, it's all about emptying you wallet, and the staff work off commission.
Just how much mark up is there in golf clubs? Guessing on grip for a quid, shaft about ten, head for about 20. Then retail a driver for £400.
A few sales a week and they're driving a Porsche.
Last time I went in the AG, the salesman became aggressive after of the 2 clubs I tried, I declined both.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would be very sceptical. PGA pro and "Master fitter" (my feelings on their custom fit very well known) only in selected stores. Does that leave you with the shop assistant? I'm out

When I bought a Cobra F9 3 wood recently the AG assistant who "fitted" me was, when I asked, a 12 handicapper at an easier course than mine, lucky i knew what I wanted

RangeMonkey

Visit site
A work colleague of mine booked a custom fit at AG a couple weeks ago.

As a casual range-goer, just building up to thinking about going on-course, and as someone who doesn’t follow YouTube channels, or read much, he had no idea what fitting was about.

His “fitting” amounted to hitting a dozen balls with two different off-the-shelf drivers. No measurements, no launch monitor, no talk of loft/lie/shaft or grip options. Just, “Which one do you want?”

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would be very sceptical. PGA pro and "Master fitter" (my feelings on their custom fit very well known) only in selected stores. Does that leave you with the shop assistant? I'm out

I know what you mean and I think this every time you post in the “ask the experts section.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It doesn‘t matter what industry you’re in, a shop or company only survive by selling their products. As in all companies, some sales people are more aggressive than others, some nicer than others, some better than others, some more experienced than others, much the same as members on a forum ?. Commission is important to sales people because without it they’re usually on a pretty low salary, which they are in AG. Many of them young lads learning the business, none I know are any where near owning a Porsche. Of course this offer is designed to get people through the door, to spend money, what else would you expect. However, we all have a choice, we choose either not to go in the first place, to take the offer without buying anything extra, or to be charmed into spending more if we want/ can/ or get blinded by new shinies etc.

i get that some people’s experience in store is different depending on the different sales people you meet, and that will contribute to your feeling about the store but I don’t get the bashing of AG every time they appear in a thread. I’ve always had good experience in there, they’ve never actually forced me to buy anything I don’t want to, they will usually discuss things and recommend things, but that’s what they’re there for, and why I’m there if I’m asking them. In general though, you shouldn’t be surprised if you walk into a shop and find a sales person tries to sell you something new.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
... I don’t get the bashing of AG every time they appear in a thread.

I’ve personally had great service from AG on several occasions, but when they have a web page that promises a full fitting experience, then they provide absolutely zero fitting, I think that needs to be called out.

I don’t care if that’s AG or anyone else, that’s just poor service and false advertising.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Sounds good on the surface

Can’t help but think what their angle is though
My mate went to our local store for one a while back. They had him passing boxes to demonstrate the rotation. I said to him “were they not just short on staff for their stock check!”

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like the 2 AG that I use, Gateshead M/Centre and Sunderland.
Friday I tried 2 clubs at a driving range. Currently have stiff flex that I was fitted for. He said ball flight was fine, but would probably need regular. Based on sight alone I thought that strange. In fairness he did say I need to go on monitor.

Would I get fitted there....No they don't give me confidence. Personally I would get fitted by a Pro who fitted me before. That said I do buy all my other gear there

sunshine

Visit site
A work colleague of mine booked a custom fit at AG a couple weeks ago.

As a casual range-goer, just building up to thinking about going on-course, and as someone who doesn’t follow YouTube channels, or read much, he had no idea what fitting was about.

His “fitting” amounted to hitting a dozen balls with two different off-the-shelf drivers. No measurements, no launch monitor, no talk of loft/lie/shaft or grip options. Just, “Which one do you want?”

Sounds fair to me. No point custom fitting a beginner, just let them hit a few off the shelf and go with best one.

sunshine

Visit site
Had my free "lesson" the other day. Didn't take long before he was suggesting I come back for a free fitting session where he could sell me some new irons.

I saw it as an opportunity to hit a bucket of balls on top tracer for free. It would have been a bonus if I'd picked up a little tip or swing thought, but if you go in with your eyes open it can work for you.

Don't understand the hate for AG. It's just a business trying to be innovative and survive in a tough market.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Had my free "lesson" the other day. Didn't take long before he was suggesting I come back for a free fitting session where he could sell me some new irons.

I saw it as an opportunity to hit a bucket of balls on top tracer for free. It would have been a bonus if I'd picked up a little tip or swing thought, but if you go in with your eyes open it can work for you.

Don't understand the hate for AG. It's just a business trying to be innovative and survive in a tough market.
Did you gain anything from the free lesson other than him advising a fitting session for new irons ? ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

In some ways you are right but, take my AG, there is no one who plays off single figure handicap let alone appear qualified to give a lesson. The last club I " got fitted for " was done by a lad off 12 handicap and I spent the time analysing the results myself, he gave me the wrong hardcover and spanner too. They are very willing and friendly but should be properly trained to fit clubs or give lessons otherwise it is likely that the unaware will end up with the wrong clubs at a higher price