Free 90 min lesson with top 25 coach

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hit the driver like you did after the lesson and single figures will be beckoning rather quickly. I hope my affliction for buying the occasional new club hasn't rubbed off on you 😁

I must say, I was quite taken with your irons and hybrids....

Let me know when you’re next upgrading! 😂

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey chrisd, was good to meet you today! I can only echo everyone’s sentiments, what a great couple of hours. I’ve never actually had a lesson before so wasn’t sure what to expect, I think my issue has been ingrained for so long that it was a real challenge to adapt. I stayed on for about an hour afterwards working on the things Andrew suggested and it was definitely more hit than miss by the end of it.

Thanks so so much to Jake for the opportunity and to Andrew for the coaching. As soon as I saw a video of my swing I could see what was wrong but the changes felt so strange!. Also thanks the Chris, hope he’s good at photoshop as heel need all the help he can get to make me look decent :D

Coincidence we’re all 12 handicappers?

When I saw you towards the end of your lesson, you were very nearly there with what Andrew was trying to get you to do. I’m amazed to hear you haven’t had lessons previously, you’ve a very tidy swing.

Apologies for not stopping to introduce myself properly, I had to dash to take care of family commitments and didn’t want to interrupt your lesson.

Impressive that Andrew managed to get all of us to see results in such a short time period. I’ve had lessons in the past where I’ve not really hit what felt like a good shot as a consequence of the advice given, or where there have been glimpses of it, but nothing to really leave me feeling that I could go away replicate it on my own.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hey chrisd, was good to meet you today! I can only echo everyone’s sentiments, what a great couple of hours. I’ve never actually had a lesson before so wasn’t sure what to expect, I think my issue has been ingrained for so long that it was a real challenge to adapt. I stayed on for about an hour afterwards working on the things Andrew suggested and it was definitely more hit than miss by the end of it.

Thanks so so much to Jake for the opportunity and to Andrew for the coaching. As soon as I saw a video of my swing I could see what was wrong but the changes felt so strange!. Also thanks the Chris, hope he’s good at photoshop as heel need all the help he can get to make me look decent :D

Coincidence we’re all 12 handicappers?

Great to meet you too. It did look a real struggle for you to adapt to the changes. I popped off to do some putting and when I returned, bingo, you were getting the hands much further forward and hitting some lovely shots.

As the resident 'old git' I have first dibs at Chris's Photoshop, I'm sure they don't want the mag to look like an advert for Age Concern.

No, not a coincidence about the handicap. If we were all high handicaps there would likely be several swing faults to cure which would be potentially impossible in the time given. We were chosen as golfers who are obviously keen and dedicated to improving and that Andrew was likely to be able to show some tangible results with, which I'm sure he did. It was good to see you and I hope that you'll bring that new swing to a few forum meets.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
When I saw you towards the end of your lesson, you were very nearly there with what Andrew was trying to get you to do. I’m amazed to hear you haven’t had lessons previously, you’ve a very tidy swing.

Apologies for not stopping to introduce myself properly, I had to dash to take care of family commitments and didn’t want to interrupt your lesson.

Impressive that Andrew managed to get all of us to see results in such a short time period. I’ve had lessons in the past where I’ve not really hit what felt like a good shot as a consequence of the advice given, or where there have been glimpses of it, but nothing to really leave me feeling that I could go away replicate it on my own.

No worries mate, Andrew seemed to have a knack in explaining “feel” much of what he said to me was feel like you’re trying to do this or that which I think is easy to relate to. Top guy and if he wasn’t so far away I think I’d see him again.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Great to meet you too. It did look a real struggle for you to adapt to the changes. I popped off to do some putting and when I returned, bingo, you were getting the hands much further forward and hitting some lovely shots.

As the resident 'old git' I have first dibs at Chris's Photoshop, I'm sure they don't want the mag to look like an advert for Age Concern.

No, not a coincidence about the handicap. If we were all high handicaps there would likely be several swing faults to cure which would be potentially impossible in the time given. We were chosen as golfers who are obviously keen and dedicated to improving and that Andrew was likely to be able to show some tangible results with, which I'm sure he did. It was good to see you and I hope that you'll bring that new swing to a few forum meets.

Yeah, when setting up (now properly) it just feels like you’re going to struggle to make contact properly but when you do they fly very well. I’m playing today in a roll up - it’s going to be a bit messy but I’m happy to suffer a bit in the short term for the long term result.

its funny, whenever I see a reader focus I never stop to think what that person thinks about seeing him or herself in the mag. I’m going to cringe when it’s me :D

Forum meets? Keep me posted!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah, when setting up (now properly) it just feels like you’re going to struggle to make contact properly but when you do they fly very well. I’m playing today in a roll up - it’s going to be a bit messy but I’m happy to suffer a bit in the short term for the long term result.

its funny, whenever I see a reader focus I never stop to think what that person thinks about seeing him or herself in the mag. I’m going to cringe when it’s me :D

Forum meets? Keep me posted!

Post up how it goes and best of luck. I'm having a round this afternoon too so will do the same

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Shot 35 points in pretty strong winds. Was getting the hang of it on the back 9 with pars on 12,13,14,15,17 & 18. Front 9 was a bit messy only parring 2, 8 & 9. Scrambled a point on the 7th even with 3 off the tee but made a mess of 10, 11 & 16

Overall pretty happy with that!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
chrisd - it would be nice to hear what was altered in your putting technique.

may help someone else if its simple enough to explain.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
chrisd - it would be nice to hear what was altered in your putting technique.

may help someone else if its simple enough to explain.

Good question Gary and I was waiting to tell depending how it went today on the course. The Pro and I had a discussion beforehand as to what I thought was my weakness. As a 12 handicapper I felt that I normally putt at about 16 handicap standard and needed to get better to go closer to a single figure handicap that my ball striking suggests I should be nearer to.

He studied a few shots and said that my posture, grip and alignment were pretty sound but that my hands and shaft were slightly behind the ball causing me to hit up on the ball too much and sometimes striking the bottom of the putter face and that this takes forward spin off which could be why I leave too many putts short. He also felt I had too much wrist movement which leads to inconsistency of strike and direction.

So we made 4 changes. I pushed the handle forward so looking down at the top of the handle it was level with the inside of my left thigh. I've got a TM Spider putter and at address we had the heel slightly raised so I couldn't see the club face and the grip pressure largely came from the 3 fingers on my left hand at the top of the handle. He also asked me to keep the putter lower to the ground both on the back swing and the through swing. Actually not much in the set up really that was a problem to do and I took to the set up in a few minutes. I then just worked on rolling putts whilst maintaining this set up.

So, did it work today - you bet it did. I had a friendly knock with a couple of mates this afternoon and used the set up all the time and rolled the ball nicely, never missed a makeable putt and sank a couple of 15 to 20 footers. It felt smoother, the top spin held the line better and im sticking with it !

I hope this helps 😊

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Shot 35 points in pretty strong winds. Was getting the hang of it on the back 9 with pars on 12,13,14,15,17 & 18. Front 9 was a bit messy only parring 2, 8 & 9. Scrambled a point on the 7th even with 3 off the tee but made a mess of 10, 11 & 16

Overall pretty happy with that!

Brilliant Joss, I'm so pleased for you as you looked like jacking it in early on.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good question Gary and I was waiting to tell depending how it went today on the course. The Pro and I had a discussion beforehand as to what I thought was my weakness. As a 12 handicapper I felt that I normally putt at about 16 handicap standard and needed to get better to go closer to a single figure handicap that my ball striking suggests I should be nearer to.

He studied a few shots and said that my posture, grip and alignment were pretty sound but that my hands and shaft were slightly behind the ball causing me to hit up on the ball too much and sometimes striking the bottom of the putter face and that this takes forward spin off which could be why I leave too many putts short. He also felt I had too much wrist movement which leads to inconsistency of strike and direction.

So we made 4 changes. I pushed the handle forward so looking down at the top of the handle it was level with the inside of my left thigh. I've got a TM Spider putter and at address we had the heel slightly raised so I couldn't see the club face and the grip pressure largely came from the 3 fingers on my left hand at the top of the handle. He also asked me to keep the putter lower to the ground both on the back swing and the through swing. Actually not much in the set up really that was a problem to do and I took to the set up in a few minutes. I then just worked on rolling putts whilst maintaining this set up.

So, did it work today - you bet it did. I had a friendly knock with a couple of mates this afternoon and used the set up all the time and rolled the ball nicely, never missed a makeable putt and sank a couple of 15 to 20 footers. It felt smoother, the top spin held the line better and im sticking with it !

I hope this helps ��

Sounds good. Keep working at it. easy to slip back into comfortable old habits.

Made a little putting adjustment myself as I had been pulling a lot of putts. I now have the feeling of the left shoulder working up rather than around my body on the through stroke.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds good. Keep working at it. easy to slip back into comfortable old habits.

Made a little putting adjustment myself as I had been pulling a lot of putts. I now have the feeling of the left shoulder working up rather than around my body on the through stroke.

Believe me Gary, in my case with putting, I don't have any habits but I hope the new way will become one 😁

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great write up by the OP. As a recipient of a similar coaching session I can really say it's a fantastic opportunity. I am slowly trying to work on what I learned and my win last week represents a step in the right direction. A long way still to go though. I hope the OP can get the changes bedded in, get confident and hole more. I find confidence breed confidence and so hopefully the handicap improves soon

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great write up by the OP. As a recipient of a similar coaching session I can really say it's a fantastic opportunity. I am slowly trying to work on what I learned and my win last week represents a step in the right direction. A long way still to go though. I hope the OP can get the changes bedded in, get confident and hole more. I find confidence breed confidence and so hopefully the handicap improves soon

Thanks HJS, to be fair my changes were the easiest of the four to bring into my game so after today's round they feel well and truly part of my game already. I just hope the other 3 manage their changes quickly, but, after watching them with the Pro I've no doubt they will

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks HJS, to be fair my changes were the easiest of the four to bring into my game so after today's round they feel well and truly part of my game already. I just hope the other 3 manage their changes quickly, but, after watching them with the Pro I've no doubt they will

I would think the chipping should also be relatively simple to work on and get right. The other two as you say, will take patience and persistence. As I found, although I had so many flaws, it can be hard, especially if their changes are pretty big ones

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would think the chipping should also be relatively simple to work on and get right. The other two as you say, will take patience and persistence. As I found, although I had so many flaws, it can be hard, especially if their changes are pretty big ones

Funny but Simon who had a big push fade with his driver only took about 4 swings to get his driver hitting straight and then started to draw the ball. Joss had the hardest time with his irons but seems to have had a good round today using his changes and so did Peter with chipping. So we all did what we were shown.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Funny but Simon who had a big push fade with his driver only took about 4 swings to get his driver hitting straight and then started to draw the ball. Joss had the hardest time with his irons but seems to have had a good round today using his changes and so did Peter with chipping. So we all did what we were shown.

Always easier doing them straight away rather than claiming theyre too hard and leaving it 6 months ;) Hope your win doesnt take too long Chris :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Always easier doing them straight away rather than claiming theyre too hard and leaving it 6 months ;) Hope your win doesnt take too long Chris :)

True Fundy, it's a fair amount of work for GM to setup and they get good Pro's to work hard on the day, in fact Andrew had 6 hours of continuous teaching plus photo shoots, video footage etc, the least we could do is to try it, practice it hard and give it every chance of working