Forward press when putting

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve had problems lately with direction when putting On Sunday in a Stableford comp I remembered Mickeson forward pressing prior to taking the putter back
I tried this and bingo, the ball went where intended and ended up with a decent score
Anybody know why this worked, I’ve got no idea

User20204

Visit site
I’ve had problems lately with direction when putting On Sunday in a Stableford comp I remembered Mickeson forward pressing prior to taking the putter back
I tried this and bingo, the ball went where intended and ended up with a decent score
Anybody know why this worked, I’ve got no idea

You hit the ball on the correct line with the correct pace, may I suggest you try and do that with every putt, you'll be surprised how many go in.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can open the face with a FP
Or you can keep it square and deloft it.
Hard to tell without seeing it.
If it’s working happy days .

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You tube Phil Michelson.
Watch how he pushes his hands forward just before. His takeaway when putting.
It’s basically pressing the butt of the shaft towards the target as a means of starting the swing to set the wrists.
As Bob’s comment

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Bob’s comment
Yes
Some putters don’t have enough loft on to do this though so some care is needed.
Also you can miss right by opening the face if you don’t keep it square at address.

I have seen guys forward press then bring the hands back at address just to get the swing going.
It’s a personal thing , what suits you best !

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spieth does it quite noticeably as well as Mickelson. I do it very slightly - my putter grip has about an inch above my hands, so when I lean the putter forward the end of the grip just sits against my left wrist slightly as I go to swing back, which I like. Almost like a really miniature version of the arm lock. I figured it can give you a better roll by de-lofting the putter slightly, and/or making sure the putter isn't leaning back still when you make contact.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Only top player I can think of with hands behind the ball, shaft leaning back, is Zack Johnson. Not sure if he still does it.

Most players seem to have a forward lean. I get my hands behind the ball at times, and usually results in catching the ground behind the ball on the takeaway, or a very nasty pull left.:eek: Much better with a forward press.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only top player I can think of with hands behind the ball, shaft leaning back, is Zack Johnson. Not sure if he still does it.

Most players seem to have a forward lean. I get my hands behind the ball at times, and usually results in catching the ground behind the ball on the takeaway, or a very nasty pull left.:eek: Much better with a forward press.
I wonder what loft He has on his putter.
Must be pretty low think average is 4*.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find it helps the ball roll better for some reason, plus as Bob says it firms up the left wrist and keeps its locked.
Strangely I pull them left if I get blase with my putting not push them right.