Fortrose and Rosemarkie

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Had to go to Inverness for the football last night and as I was up early I had a wander out to Chanonry Point between the villages of Fortrose and Rosemarkie - best place in Europe to see dolphins from the shore, though the tide was wrong for them to be around during my brief visit - and also the site of the lovely Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Club

We are staying here in the summer for a few days and I'm looking forward to playing the course again (played in an Open here years ago) - hopefully weather is as sunny as it was yesterday and that the wind isn't quite as strong - it was very windy there yesterday.

Here's some phone pics - I'll get some better ones with a proper camera when I'm up there on holiday.

IMG_5096.jpg
4th green

IMG_5097.jpg
Another view of the 4th green

IMG_5100.jpg
5th green

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its a nice course, short but always windy. not seen a Dolphin in the Moray firth yet this year, I have a friend who works for the WDCS and she said they often go out into deep water over winter and sometimes as far away as the coast of the Netherlands with the few with trackers on. won't be long though.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
its a nice course, short but always windy. not seen a Dolphin in the Moray firth yet this year, I have a friend who works for the WDCS and she said they often go out into deep water over winter and sometimes as far away as the coast of the Netherlands with the few with trackers on. won't be long though.
I keep up to date with dolphin sightings via Charlie Phillips from the WDCS - he says there were two spotted yesterday at Chanonry Point so they are around - should be plenty by June.

Saw a couple of red kites hunting just off road as I headed across to Fortrose from the A9

It was very windy - bottom pic is the short par 3 right outside the cottage we are staying at.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I keep up to date with dolphin sightings via Charlie Phillips from the WDCS - he says there were two spotted yesterday at Chanonry Point so they are around - should be plenty by June.

Saw a couple of red kites hunting just off road as I headed across to Fortrose from the A9

It was very windy - bottom pic is the short par 3 right outside the cottage we are staying at.
are you staying in the one that fronts out on the car park or the one that is next to the 5th tee?

the red Kites are just starting to get back to a reasonable number after some clown poisoned loads of them a few years ago, we've even had the flying over the house and the Kings recently. The bit of the A9 as you cross the bridge is prob the best place to see one, we were invited to the RSPB feeding station the back of Dingwall a few years ago, we saw about 10 on the drive over and none at the feeding station:LOL:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
are you staying in the one that fronts out on the car park or the one that is next to the 5th tee?

the red Kites are just starting to get back to a reasonable number after some clown poisoned loads of them a few years ago, we've even had the flying over the house and the Kings recently. The bit of the A9 as you cross the bridge is prob the best place to see one, we were invited to the RSPB feeding station the back of Dingwall a few years ago, we saw about 10 on the drive over and none at the feeding station:LOL:
The one next to the 5th tee. Upstairs has a lounge with big windows overlooking the point for dolphin watching and over the course so we can keep an eye on the folks playing golf too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The one next to the 5th tee. Upstairs has a lounge with big windows overlooking the point for dolphin watching and over the course so we can keep an eye on the folks playing golf too.
i think that one was a private house not that lonh ago, always had some nice veg growing in the garden, it does get very busy in the summer, i think the council have a ranger looking after some of these hot spots, used to get camping and all sorts going on there at night;)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
i think that one was a private house not that lonh ago, always had some nice veg growing in the garden, it does get very busy in the summer, i think the council have a ranger looking after some of these hot spots, used to get camping and all sorts going on there at night;)
I called in in October on my way to football in Brora - it was around low tide (so dolphin watching time) and the car park was absolutely rammed - Think charging for the car park and the fact they check up on it will stop the overnight camper vans/motor homes. Incidentally there were plenty of RV type vehicles on the A9 yesterday - despite Scotland still having not overnight stays away from home rules till next week.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I called in in October on my way to football in Brora - it was around low tide (so dolphin watching time) and the car park was absolutely rammed - Think charging for the car park and the fact they check up on it will stop the overnight camper vans/motor homes. Incidentally there were plenty of RV type vehicles on the A9 yesterday - despite Scotland still having not overnight stays away from home rules till next week.

weve been getting them since easter, one saturday night there were half a dozen camper cans parked up in the local rugby club.

Highland council are employing a load of rangers to clamp down on dirty camping etc

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Lovely pictures David, the green keepers have done a tremendous job with the course over the winter, hardly ever on winter greens and the full greens are superb ??