forgiving 3 wood wanted, what to consider?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so I currently use a 12 deg driver which is very sporadic. I hit my hybrids well but want a bit more length off the tee/fairway but am finding my titleist 906 f4 a bit too unforgiving, it goes well up the range but not so good on the course

what models should I consider as looking to pick up 2nd hand and as cheap as possible :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Cleveland Launcher 09 version.
Almost any Callaway
Almost any Ping - maybe not the i15 though.

Some of the Cally's can be picked up really cheap now, especially the older versions. The launcher can be had cheap on eBay and the G10 is as good a fairway as has been made.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Mizuno MX700 - shop around, you should get one for less than £80

+1 I have got one, and they are very forgiving and long. Paid 65 for mine. (Help the pound sign has disappeared from my computer!)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I chose a Nike dymo2sq over an MX-700 about a year ago. I wish I'd gone the other way t.b.h. the Nike is very straight and very forgiving, but doesn't seem very sweet.

I think square is on it's way out. However, if you want straightness as the no.1 priority, try one out.

BogeyHole

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you want a forgiving 3W

try a 4W.

:p

Possibly 10 yards less off the tee than my old 3W, but longer and straighter and a lot more consistant off the fairway.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your looking for a 3w to hit off the tee then maybe go for a deeper faced one , i used to have a ping g5 that was a great substitute when the driver wasnt working. You should be sble to get one dirt chesp on ebay or golfbidder!

upinsmoke

Club Champion
Visit site
MD Superstrong 3W. I got one recently with a regular flex shaft and it's a great club.

I considered the 15* Fairway Finder "Spoon" version because of the deeper face for use off the tee but decided against it in the end as I wanted to hit it off the deck as well.

Great price and looks good as well.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
MD Superstrong 3W. I got one recently with a regular flex shaft and it's a great club.

I considered the 15* Fairway Finder "Spoon" version because of the deeper face for use off the tee but decided against it in the end as I wanted to hit it off the deck as well.

Great price and looks good as well.

I'll add a +1 to this. I used my 3w off the tee on Saturday as an experiment. It went straighter and, on occasion, further than my driver.