Forged irons v game improvers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did get a set of forged blades off Golfbidder with the intent of using them for practice to improve strike and when I went back to the Ping model I had at the time the sweetspot would feel far bigger and with the improved contact distance and direction would improve. To be honest I didn't hit the blades overly well (more to do with some technique flaws looking back on hindsight) and got frustrated at the loss of distance on bad shots I fell out of love with the idea. Managed to shift them on to a 5 handicapper at the club for a profit so it wasn't all bad.

incatrekker

Visit site
MP20 MMC I think or the JPX 919 Forged.
Sats is right. I just sold my JPX850 irons only 2 years old because the standard Mizuno shaft is 1/4” shorter and I felt I wasn’t getting the most from my hit. Also on the 850 there’s a distinct cavity gap at the base which I could never keep clean. I bought the Callaway Apex Pro which I hit on average 8 yards further per club (same loft angle). These weren’t the longest irons I tried, but they felt better.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This thread is making me think about getting my forged irons out for a spin. They are the Cleveland 588 CB and are lovely clubs. I only changed to Ping G700s a couple of years ago when I won the opportunity to be fitted for them on here. The Pings are forgiving and long, but don’t give the feeling of the Clevelands. The Clevelands are also much better looking.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve played plenty of blades or players clubs in the past plus a few clubs on the more meaty scale of the spectrum.

I can an have hit both amazingly well and amazingly poor.

I’ve played cobra amp pro, cobra king MB’s and most recently some utterly sexy Srixon 965’s.

I have recently moved toward playing Vega Vc03 and VC01’s which are pretty chunky in the 03’s but retain that lovely forged Feel and clean look Throughout the set.

The main reason I stopped using blade’y clubs is simply because I live in the northwest and play in parkland courses that get wet.

Sounds daft? I’ll explain.

I found that whilst I hit the ball exactly the same with most shapes of iron, the bladed ones offer zero forgiveness when it came to a slight fat shot on wet turf.

The club just cut through the soggy tuft and splats muck everywhere.

Larger heads have the fatter sole. So this is drastically less destructive.

When playing in summer I notice very little difference at all.

All my current Vegas cope supremely well with wetter turf with the exception of one wedge. A VW-02. Mainly because it has about 6 degrees of bounce and acts very much like a turf cutter.

In fact. If I ever fulfil my dream of of joining a Links club. It will be blades all the way on that firm turf for me.

I also much prefer the dull feeling of a forged head. In my own experience. Cast clubs feel inferior pretty much universally.

The only exception to that are vokey wedges. These are obviously cast but are made from an extremely soft feeling steel.

Tbh the make my forged Vega wedges feel hard.

Ultimately. Play what you enjoy. Don’t get to caught up in thinking that handicap = a specific club shape.

It’s a nonsense imo. Especially when there are some downsides to playing GI clubs like super hot faces, which make chips and bump and runs a little bit of a lottery.

Not to mention that Phenomenon whereby you want to hit your 7i a specific distance but put it 30 yards over the green due to you catching the sweet spot perfectly and it coming if like a rocket.

Happens quite a lot with GI clubs.
Just my 2p

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve played plenty of blades or players clubs in the past plus a few clubs on the more meaty scale of the spectrum.

I can an have hit both amazingly well and amazingly poor.

I’ve played cobra amp pro, cobra king MB’s and most recently some utterly sexy Srixon 965’s.

I have recently moved toward playing Vega Vc03 and VC01’s which are pretty chunky in the 03’s but retain that lovely forged Feel and clean look Throughout the set.

The main reason I stopped using blade’y clubs is simply because I live in the northwest and play in parkland courses that get wet.

Sounds daft? I’ll explain.

I found that whilst I hit the ball exactly the same with most shapes of iron, the bladed ones offer zero forgiveness when it came to a slight fat shot on wet turf.

The club just cut through the soggy tuft and splats muck everywhere.

Larger heads have the fatter sole. So this is drastically less destructive.

When playing in summer I notice very little difference at all.

All my current Vegas cope supremely well with wetter turf with the exception of one wedge. A VW-02. Mainly because it has about 6 degrees of bounce and acts very much like a turf cutter.

In fact. If I ever fulfil my dream of of joining a Links club. It will be blades all the way on that firm turf for me.

I also much prefer the dull feeling of a forged head. In my own experience. Cast clubs feel inferior pretty much universally.

The only exception to that are vokey wedges. These are obviously cast but are made from an extremely soft feeling steel.

Tbh the make my forged Vega wedges feel hard.

Ultimately. Play what you enjoy. Don’t get to caught up in thinking that handicap = a specific club shape.

It’s a nonsense imo. Especially when there are some downsides to playing GI clubs like super hot faces, which make chips and bump and runs a little bit of a lottery.

Not to mention that Phenomenon whereby you want to hit your 7i a specific distance but put it 30 yards over the green due to you catching the sweet spot perfectly and it coming if like a rocket.

Happens quite a lot with GI clubs.
Just my 2p
Pretty much wrote what I think, but couldn't be bothered typing ?

incatrekker

Visit site
Pretty much wrote what I think, but couldn't be bothered typing ?
I’d go with that too tho I hadn‘t thought about the fat shots. It makes some sense because I recently bought a Cleveland wedge with 8 bounce specifically because our fairways are hard and pretty thin on grass coverage. It’s working well especially as the grooves are sharp!