Football League Thread 2016/17

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seems a rather sketchy managerial record over the last few years looking at the article, Seems an appointment based heavily on his acquaintance the guy running the Wolves transfer policy

Really, 2 cup finals and qualifying for Europe for the first time with Rio Ave, finishing 4th with Valencia (he's hardly going to topple Barca, Real and Atletico is he?) and 2nd round of the Champs league with Porto. Seems alright to me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really, 2 cup finals and qualifying for Europe for the first time with Rio Ave, finishing 4th with Valencia (he's hardly going to topple Barca, Real and Atletico is he?) and 2nd round of the Champs league with Porto. Seems alright to me.

But doesn't seem to stick around too long anywhere and see a job through or get a side improving year on year

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So why is he going to Wolves? Don't mean to be insulting but nothing in Wolves recent history suggests that a top manager should go there.

That's where Homer is correct, all about the "super agent", Jorge Mendes. The new owners, Fosun, rely heavily on his recommendations and contacts.

We would never have been able to attract him without Mendes. Same for some of the players that he's recommended to us. Not least Helder Costa, who more or less kept us up last year.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
So Blackpool get promoted to league one. Where does that leave the fans and the owners in their dispute. Will more fans go back to watch the team next season. Clearly the owners will say their way is working despite seeming to rip the heart of the club out. Can see it being a very "interesting" summer there. Well done to them today though

For the vast majority of supporters will not go back, the very low turnout at Wembley shows this. Promotion to League 1 changes nothing, the main battle will take place in the High Court over the next few weeks. The boycott is not about league position, it is about lack of investment, going back on promises, goading and suing fans.

Gary Bowyer does seems to have done a good job and I wouldn't be surprised if he has moved on before the next season starts.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For the vast majority of supporters will not go back, the very low turnout at Wembley shows this. Promotion to League 1 changes nothing, the main battle will take place in the High Court over the next few weeks. The boycott is not about league position, it is about lack of investment, going back on promises, goading and suing fans.

Gary Bowyer does seems to have done a good job and I wouldn't be surprised if he has moved on before the next season starts.

Just seems a total shame for the fans that they can't enjoy a period of success on the field while the owners continue to try and split the club apart. Hopefully the court case will see the right result and the club can find a way to move forward again in unity

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Come on Hobbit, where are you? Gary Monk to the Boro. Good move and I can see you coming straight back up. I'm assuming you won't be losing many players over the summer, Negredo excepted.

D

Deleted member 16999

Come on Hobbit, where are you? Gary Monk to the Boro. Good move and I can see you coming straight back up. I'm assuming you won't be losing many players over the summer, Negredo excepted.
He probably forgot this is his football thread now :whoo:

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Did Monk actually do anything at Leeds tho.
My mate is a season ticket holder & was never overly impressed by him.
Poor start,good mid season,finished poor.
Probably not the easiest gig with the owner I suppose.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Leeds have been a basket case club. He brought them stability and moved them up the league. Nearly got them to the play offs. Considering their recent history that's not bad.

To counter this, I haven't seen them play so I'm purely looking at hard facts. I like the idea of a young British manager doing well though and he fits the bill. Equally I think the chairman at Boro is one of the good guys so I wish both of them well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I've been lost in the wilderness. Pleased to see Monk there. Good pedigree, including before his spell at dirty Leeds. Doubly pleased to see several very mediocre Spanish cast offs leave the club. But a lot of new players to bed in, and a few old stalwarts that are starting to creak.

Keeping Ben Gibson would be a bonus but there's a few clubs still sniffing around. The club must be confident as they've not bought any cover in that area...spent a fortune on strikers though.