Football and the offside rule

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My offside rule would be this :-

There are two halfs of a pitch. So you are either attacking in one half or defending in the other....yes? Ok then.
If you team are in possession of the ball in your attacking half of the pitch you cannot be offside.
And that is all there is needed.

But to elaborate. If your team is in possession of the ball in your defending half of the pitch, any pass from that half of the pitch to the attacking half would then invoke the offside law as it stands now. Once the ball played from the defending half to the attacking half and is touched in anyway in that half on the pitch everyone would be considered onside.

Much easier.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If that's the case why did they change it to allow a bigger margin of error on the lines for this season then? After people were complaining it was far too clinical before? It used to be stated that benefit of the doubt goes with the forward, remember. Nowadays there's no doubt so no benefit for the forward at all.

I just don't believe in categorising it by measurements and whatnot. For years we relied on a linesman, in real time, using his eyes to see if someone is offside or level. Now we give them a video where they can replay it, but we no longer trust their judgement even with the video help? In my opinion we've gone from one extreme to the other and completely skipped over the happy medium in the middle. Technology was brought in to help, but they've jumped the shark and overblown it with too much reliance on the tech, it needs to be dialled back a notch.

Unfortunately once the genie is out of the bottle it's very difficult if not impossible to put it back in.

VAR screwed up in my opinion by not having the equivalent of cricket's Umpire's Call; the acknowledgement that the technology is not perfect and that we need to go with the gut instinct of those in charge. I believe that VAR says that the lines for offside should be taken from when the ball is played; the point at when the foot first contacts the ball. Yet because the technology isn't up to it, I've clearly seen stills where the ball has left the foot, which means that the attacker has to be far more precise. Rather than fudging the widths of the line, there should have been a referee's call, which in cases where they can't determine the timing of the pass that precisely means it reverts to the originally given decision on field (unless VAR reveals something utterly glaring that has been missed).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont dislike the accurate decisions - but and its a big but - the fact VAR is sometimes used and sometimes not does my head in.

Yesterday Brighton got a corner when the ball actually didn't touch a villa player but the lino got it wrong as his view was blocked. Had they scored from that corner it would have been gaining an advantage from a wrong decision. When guys with screens could have corrected it in seconds, every commentator saw it in seconds and made comments that it didn't touch Digne....

But had a players arm and sleeve been involved we would have had microscopes out.

Strange implementation.
Well they didn’t see Dinge kick a Brighton player in the shin , missing the ball completely and floor him in the penalty area.
So I wouldn’t give VAR any more involvement in the game.
Some of the VAR decisions have left me scratching my head.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well they didn’t see Dinge kick a Brighton player in the shin , missing the ball completely and floor him in the penalty area.
So I wouldn’t give VAR any more involvement in the game.
Some of the VAR decisions have left me scratching my head.

Same point. Half arsed implementation just doesn’t work