Florida scramble h,cs

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Guidance on the WHS RoH, version 2.4, page 24, GC.

"The National Associations within GB&I have determined that allowances set out in the table in Appendix C are mandatory."

This is true, my club tried to do something different and the handicap committee were arrested and sentenced to 6 months in prison.
All players involved received a 3 month community service order.

wjemather

Visit site
This is true, my club tried to do something different and the handicap committee were arrested and sentenced to 6 months in prison.
All players involved received a 3 month community service order.
Unsurprisingly, much like club membership, union affiliation doesn't come without rules, some of which relate to handicapping.

Clubs that want to do their own thing are free to resign their union affiliation and with it, the right to administer official handicaps for the their members.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Unsurprisingly, much like club membership, union affiliation doesn't come without rules, some of which relate to handicapping.

Clubs that want to do their own thing are free to resign their union affiliation and with it, the right to administer official handicaps for the their members.

For me that attitude just alienates golfers.

Scrambles have nothing to do with determining handicaps and have for as long as I can remember come in a great many shapes and variations, they're just a bit of fun.

Unions should stick to the things that matter.

wjemather

Visit site
For me that attitude just alienates golfers.

Scrambles have nothing to do with determining handicaps and have for as long as I can remember come in a great many shapes and variations, they're just a bit of fun.

Unions should stick to the things that matter.
Consistency is a good thing. Different allowances at different clubs leads to confusion and disgruntled golfers who believe they are being diddled by dodgy allowances. Their complaints are ultimately heard by the unions.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Consistency is a good thing. Different allowances at different clubs leads to confusion and disgruntled golfers who believe they are being diddled by dodgy allowances. Their complaints are ultimately heard by the unions.

BIB, thank goodness for WHS then. ;)

"Recommended" would have been perfect for a non-qualifying, fun format. Mandatory is something completely different.

But hey, the rules don't even permit me to play with the clubs I'd like to so should I really care?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Appendix C simply states "scramble", so the allowances cover all variations, and are mandatory within GB&I in competitions run by affiliated clubs and other organisations.

I have had it confirmed by the County and Regional Handicap Advisers that the listed handicap allowances for scrambles should not be used when there are teams of different size. Try calculating the team handicaps for teams of 3 x 16 handicaps and 4 x 16 handicaps in the same comp and you will see it's a nonsense.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

It’s not only the rules that can be confusing sometimes, from a simple question I got 3 incorrect rulings on here. 🤷🏼‍♂️

wjemather

Visit site
I have had it confirmed by the County and Regional Handicap Advisers that the listed handicap allowances for scrambles should not be used when there are teams of different size. Try calculating the team handicaps for teams of 3 x 16 handicaps and 4 x 16 handicaps in the same comp and you will see it's a nonsense.
Teams of mixed sizes is not a format covered by Appendix C.

The allowances given in Appendix C are only for use in competitions in the format given. They don't mix-and-match. For scrambles, that means all teams are made up of either 2, 3 or 4 players, not a mix of sizes.

As I've said before, you would be far better off adding a ghost player with a fixed HI to the short-handed teams to give them 3 or 4 extra strokes, than trying to conjure something with variable allowances.

Swango1980

Visit site
Florida Scrambles is another reason why I think mandatory handicaps for any type of Scramble is ridiculous.

We had a 3 man Florida Scramble earlier in the year, so were given the allowances used for a team of 3. However, a 3-man Scramble is essentially a 2 man scramble in everything but the drives.