Flight & Height

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've always hit it low but gradually over the past few seasons I've lost even more height

Fine when it's windy or conditions are firm and running but it's not 'right'

I deloft, so although my irons go relatively far (7i : 165-170 ish) I struggle to hit anything more than a 5i (which goes more like a 3-4 iron etc)

I've realised my hips slide too much towards target so the dynamic loft presented is too low
I feel I then sometimes flip/scoop to subconsciously help the ball up. Bad Bad Bad

A range I use has Toptracer, so I did some experimentation...
Swinging 'normally' the apex of my 7i was around 18/19 yards
By focusing on not getting ahead of the ball and turning more, rather than sliding, I gained around 5-6 yards height (couldn't accurately guage distance due to the 40mph gusts)

It also felt like I got my weight through better resulting in a better finish position (weight on left foot and in balance)

I feel quite enthused :eek:ne:

As the season's all but over I want to commit to some proper range work & get this nailed

I want to hit more GIRs next season
It's also a prelude to working on my driving where the sliding/delofting was a killer

Anybody gone or going through a similar change? Anyone know their apex heights and what the optimum is?

Last time I was fitted, (5 years ago) my driver s/s was 105-108... but I'm not as young, strong or flexible as then so it's probably down a bit by now :mad:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow that is a very low ball flight assuming you mean 19 yards as the maximum ball height.

Never been on a machine but judging by house height I would estimate my 'normal' 7 iron to be about the equivalent of two - three houses. You would need that sort of height to get from the fairway up to one of our greens.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm the opposite, always thought my height was super high but after a recent trackman session i didn't go over 40yds so no need to tell air traffic control when i have a tee time :D

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wouldn't a house be around 8 yards high though (unless you have high ceilings or 3+ storeys 😉) , so if you hit around 2-3 houses high that'd be 16-24 yards? :mad:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've always hit it low but gradually over the past few seasons I've lost even more height

Fine when it's windy or conditions are firm and running but it's not 'right'

I deloft, so although my irons go relatively far (7i : 165-170 ish) I struggle to hit anything more than a 5i (which goes more like a 3-4 iron etc)

I've realised my hips slide too much towards target so the dynamic loft presented is too low
I feel I then sometimes flip/scoop to subconsciously help the ball up. Bad Bad Bad

A range I use has Toptracer, so I did some experimentation...
Swinging 'normally' the apex of my 7i was around 18/19 yards
By focusing on not getting ahead of the ball and turning more, rather than sliding, I gained around 5-6 yards height (couldn't accurately guage distance due to the 40mph gusts)

It also felt like I got my weight through better resulting in a better finish position (weight on left foot and in balance)

I feel quite enthused :eek:ne:

As the season's all but over I want to commit to some proper range work & get this nailed

I want to hit more GIRs next season
It's also a prelude to working on my driving where the sliding/delofting was a killer

Anybody gone or going through a similar change? Anyone know their apex heights and what the optimum is?

Last time I was fitted, (5 years ago) my driver s/s was 105-108... but I'm not as young, strong or flexible as then so it's probably down a bit by now :mad:

How are you proposing to get it nailed. Are you working on it on your own? Have you seen your swing on film and confirmed it's a slide causing the problems? Just asking as having seen mine in all my glory over the last few months feel vs real are too different things much of the time

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A quick poke around on the interest reveals that PGA tour average with a7 iron is 32m. So maybe you aren't quite as bad as you think.

I have to say, having seen tour pros a few times, I would have guessed 40m at least. The wonders of actual measurement!

Speaking of which, I would have thought that the most efficient way of working this out would be via a decent launch monitor. You'd get real data to confirm the cause, and get instant feedback that any changes made were having the desired effect.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last time on the monitor I was launching the ball with most clubs ,165feet so about 50 or so meters.

I do warn air traffic control and also NASA ,😁

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last time on the monitor I was launching the ball with most clubs ,165feet so about 50 or so meters.

I do warn air traffic control and also NASA ,

Is this your driver :D
skymark1.jpg

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Actually, just noticed that it is 32yds, not metres. Septic measurements.

Also, that 7 iron and driver are the two highest (but only by a yard or so), and that there is actually not much difference right through the bag.

50m does seem a little .. ahem... Excessive....

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How are you proposing to get it nailed. Are you working on it on your own? Have you seen your swing on film and confirmed it's a slide causing the problems? Just asking as having seen mine in all my glory over the last few months feel vs real are too different things much of the time

Good point, partially self diagnosed but also something I've known for a good while from previous lessons. Didn't attempt to change mid-season as I could still get the ball around OK

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Actually, just noticed that it is 32yds, not metres

Thanks, that's interesting
If I can get mine consistently up then around mid 20's I'll be happy, given the difference in s/s & strike between them snd us 👍

Take a look at grip you may need to weaken of left hand.

Thanks, pretty sure grip is fine as it's something I keep a close eye on 👍

I was launching the ball with most clubs ,165feet so about 50 or so meters
😲

"As of 5 July 2016, the United States Strategic Command tracked a total of 17,852 artificial objects in orbit above the Earth"
👆Anything to do with you? 😅😅

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm the opposite too. I tend to hit it quite high.

I know that the most important thing is that the ball goes straight/where you want it to, but there's something satisfying about hitting a club and seeing the shot with the right trajectory.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, that's interesting
If I can get mine consistently up then around mid 20's I'll be happy, given the difference in s/s & strike between them snd us 👍

Thanks, pretty sure grip is fine as it's something I keep a close eye on 👍

😲

"As of 5 July 2016, the United States Strategic Command tracked a total of 17,852 artificial objects in orbit above the Earth"
👆Anything to do with you? 😅😅

It wouldn't surprise me mate 😂😂

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't a house be around 8 yards high though (unless you have high ceilings or 3+ storeys 😉) , so if you hit around 2-3 houses high that'd be 16-24 yards? :mad:

Yep you are probably about right I was thinking that houses are around 40 ft high but have worked mine out at roughly 30 ft.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ooh that feels nice to have had a productive practice session 😀

Once I remembered what exactly I was meant to be working on that is 😳

Pleased with the flight* and height (and a bit of extra distance) I'm now getting, illustrated quite clearly on the TopTracer (image to follow)

Can't wait to have another session tomorrow

* yes the draw is a little excessive but not concerned with that for now