Flexibility / Mobility - Golf Fitness

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you're as flexible as a 2x4 I'd suggest you work on general mobility before getting golf specific, which will help your golf somewhat anyway and also improve your life generally.

My general opinion is most amateurs in all sports get too caught up in specificity before they have even a moderate base of strength, mobility and power. I'm not saying specific training has no place, but it's like worrying about which condiment to go with your roast dinner, whilst forgetting to even defrost the joint, let alone cook it!

Siolag

Visit site
If you're as flexible as a 2x4 I'd suggest you work on general mobility before getting golf specific, which will help your golf somewhat anyway and also improve your life generally.

My general opinion is most amateurs in all sports get too caught up in specificity before they have even a moderate base of strength, mobility and power. I'm not saying specific training has no place, but it's like worrying about which condiment to go with your roast dinner, whilst forgetting to even defrost the joint, let alone cook it!

This is very true! I am only now branching into golf specific stuff, but have been doing a general flexibility programme for 9 months. Although my pro gave me it, it really is just 6 very basic stretches that would benefit any sport.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Good point to be fair.

Its a body first, not a golf machine!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
How are people getting on with there stretches etc, are you noticing a difference?
Just set up the golf net and I’m as stiff as an old dog ??