Flex

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could anyone tell me if there would be a major difference in regular flex shaft and stiff shafts? i know the obvious difference but just want to know the following:-

1. If a high handicapper (28) would notice the difference?

2. Is a stiff shaft better for someone with a quick swing speed?

Thanks

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not an expert on this but yes stiffer shafts are for faster swings i think. I play with a regular flex shaft and today i used my mates callaway FT-5 with a stiff shaft, altough i hit it reasonably well, i could tell the difference loads. Feels like swinging an iron bar.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. If a high handicapper (28) would notice the difference?

2. Is a stiff shaft better for someone with a quick swing speed?

1. Maybe not....
2. Yes.

But you need to find out your clubhead speed. Tested with a driver and rated somewhere between (discounting ladies/seniors) 75 and 120? mph. Mine is 90-95, just under the stiff recommendation for most makes.

Stiff graphite use to be considered = to reg steel. Not any more. reg is reg. steel shafts weigh more and bend less, but the design of graphite nowadays means you go on the swing speed, and accept a more flex-y feeling.

Dave

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im know expert either but the longer the shaft then the whippier it is going to be graphite will have more flex than steel coz its softer but a 28 handicapper should struggle with a stiff graphite shaft. Didnt tiger have a steel shaft in his three wood or driver at some point!!! i think hes back to graphite now?????
lol all play well

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm a 20 handicapper who used to have a 2nd-hand set of stiff shafted DCIs and my teaching pro once told me that there was no point in me having more lessons until I got more suitable irons.

I would say that you could use stiff shafted irons if you wanted to, but you'd be making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got stiff graphite shafts there nowhere near as stiff as dynamic gold s 300

What are the graphite shafts?.....s 300 is a tour standard shaft (true temper), heavy and stiff......
If you got an s rated graphite, I'd imagine it would feel terribly whippy in comparison......

My mate has s300 in his x14s and stiff in his graphites, he finds the metal wood shafts almost unbearable.....but they do go straight.

Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
This subject is also compounded by the lack of any industry standards. Aldila stiff is not necessarily Fujikura stiff and is almost certainly not the same as 'Own Label' stiff.
I'm not certain that, even within a single manufacturer, stiff in one model is the same as in another.

I have what purports to be a Regular graphite shaft in a Bayhill rescue - as has been said, it's like swinging an iron bar.

ps in deference to those who want a more precise location, it is added below

Craigy_Mac

Medal Winner
Visit site
Stiff is stiff no matter the material and the difference between different manufactures flex strength is alot closer than you would think, there not identical but close.
If your swing can handle stiff shafts then use them, there far more consistant with distance contol. Ideally tho you want rifle shafts like project x. These shafts can be sent away and pured to match every flex as the same as each other. this may cost a few extra pennies but trust me its worth it in the end, once you find that special set of irons hold on to them, no need to change every 2nd season.