Five vice captains - why?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So Bjorn has announced GMac, Westy, Porridge and Loooook to compliment him and Karlsson.

Why do we need five?

Has Westwood been brought on board to double up as Rory's putting coach? Just seems like jobs for the boys.

D

Deleted member 15344

So Bjorn has announced GMac, Westy, Porridge and Loooook to compliment him and Karlsson.

Why do we need five?

Has Westwood been brought on board to double up as Rory's putting coach? Just seems like jobs for the boys.

One Vice Captain on each of the games on the course on Friday and Saturday - one to be alongside the captain and to go between the games. Then on Sunday you have one person between two matches. There are lots of stuff for them all to do from now until the event and during the event. McGinley had 5 and said it was the perfect number after Jose said he wishes he had one more especially during the singles

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Why do we need five?

I think that could be true, but don’t see it as a bad thing. Hopefully they’re all liked and respected by our selected group. If that’s the case then it’s not a bad thing having them and their experience to draw on during the inevitable ups and downs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Ryder Cup has become a huge beast and the time pressures for the captain are immense. I suspect this allows him to delegate plenty of jobs, all to people who know what is needed at a Ryder Cup, so that he can be free to do what he believes will be important.

D

Deleted member 15344

The one thing you can say though it looks like Poulter will be going as a player then

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The one thing you can say though it looks like Poulter will be going as a player then

Barring injury i think he warrants a place be that qualification or pick as he’s been on goood from of late. He’s playing a fuller European tour this year I believe, so fully expect him to earn a spot.

D

Deleted member 1418

That's what I thought too, or he'll be added as another VC if he's doesn't make it. Think Monty introduced the 5th VC when Celtic Manor was affected by the weather and he drafted in Ollie - obviously the weather in Europe that time of the year cannot be guaranteed.

So I think 5 or 6 quite sensible. One to be with those players on the range and not playing; and another to add as the GDB, getting food, drink or whatever players need.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Why do we need five?

more likely soften the blow of them not getting picked

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
In todays age of internet, mobile data, wifi etc why not just check the progress of games on your phone from the comfort of the clubhouse, heck have Sky on, comfortable armchair and a big Cuban cigar, wee bottle of red.

Save the European Tour some money.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One Vice Captain on each of the games on the course on Friday and Saturday - one to be alongside the captain and to go between the games. Then on Sunday you have one person between two matches. There are lots of stuff for them all to do from now until the event and during the event. McGinley had 5 and said it was the perfect number after Jose said he wishes he had one more especially during the singles

Is the right answer.

Great until the Sunday, when there's 12 singles. Hopefully by then the players have got their head's in the right place.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is the right answer.

Great until the Sunday, when there's 12 singles. Hopefully by then the players have got their head's in the right place.

McGinley said for the Sunday there were some players who needed to have someone with them at times and others he knew could be left to their own devices - Rose , Stenson and Rory could be left but found someone like Kaymer and Garcia just needed some encouragement at times so had someone near them.

D

Deleted member 1418

McGinley said for the Sunday there were some players who needed to have someone with them at times and others he knew could be left to their own devices - Rose , Stenson and Rory could be left but found someone like Kaymer and Garcia just needed some encouragement at times so had someone near them.

Nice to see that those multi-millionaire Major winners still needed someone to hold their hands!!! :D :D

If it was me, I'd have 6!!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Half n Half

Bit of a jolly/reward for services rendered and bit of introduction/experience into the support/mngt side in case these guys go on to be Captains one day

Gives the ET a look at as many as possible to see who just wouldn't cut it when it comes to managing others