Fitting existing clubs

User20202

Visit site
This is my first post so please go easy on me!

First off, I started playing golf again a couple of months ago after a 10 year break when I stopped at age 14. Due to my budget I couldn't get fitted for the new clubs so I opted for finding good deals on clubs at online stores such as clubhouse. I've just completed my full set after picking up three brand new vokeys off Facebook for £225! However, none of the clubs I have are fitted and being 5'4 I feel like this will really be affecting my game. My goal for next year is to get my handicap into single figures and I feel having clubs that fit me properly is important to achieve this.

Anyway, I know I want to get fitted at some point before the spring. My question is would it be better going to a fitter right now already with the new specs I want in my head (.5 inch short and 2 degrees flat), or should I book a few lessons with a coach and have him evaluate me advise what adjustments should be made? I guess people post questions like this all the time but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome along, you’re in safe hands.

I don’t mean that most people here are lunatics.

Defo see a coach first, those specs you have arent necessarily what you need, many here have had a fitting - got a spec, 6 months later after heartache get another fitting and totally different spec. At 5 4 you’ll almost certainly need some adjustments, in 5 8 and just about sneak into standard specs, but a lot has to do with your swing and how you impact the ball. For example on a strike board you might be bob on, its all about how you return the club.

Go to a coach that also adjusts clubs, there should be plenty around but if you let folk know what area you’re in on here you’ll get a recommendation or where to go (and not go!)

Best of luck rejoining the game. It’s bloody awesome.

User20202

Visit site
Welcome along, you’re in safe hands.

I don’t mean that most people here are lunatics.

Defo see a coach first, those specs you have arent necessarily what you need, many here have had a fitting - got a spec, 6 months later after heartache get another fitting and totally different spec. At 5 4 you’ll almost certainly need some adjustments, in 5 8 and just about sneak into standard specs, but a lot has to do with your swing and how you impact the ball. For example on a strike board you might be bob on, its all about how you return the club.

Go to a coach that also adjusts clubs, there should be plenty around but if you let folk know what area you’re in on here you’ll get a recommendation or where to go (and not go!)

Best of luck rejoining the game. It’s bloody awesome.

Thanks a lot mate! Yeah I thought this would be the way to go about it! I'm in south cheshire so anything around Manchester or down towards Birmingham I don't mind travelling to. I think I'm spoilt for choice for coaches in this area to be honest!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Where are you getting your idea of the clubs needing to be 2 degrees flatter and so short? My advice would be go to to a good teaching pro as a) he'll help your swing and move you towards single figures and b) advise on fitting based on how you swing it. After that the choice is yours. You can find an independent fitter who stocks a number of makes and models or if you have a particular brand you are set on, go to their fitting centre(s)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am 5’ 5” and when fitted at Ping they started with a flat lie, but after hitting some shots ended with their blue dot which is a degree upright. Was recently trying out some clubs with one of their mobile fitters and he queried this so got me to hit some balls using the strike plate and ended up confirming the original fitting. So don’t assume that because of your height that you will need a flatter than standard lie.

My clubs are fitted 1/2” short, but my older clubs were fine at standard length - just hold them a little down the grip.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
a good club pro should be able to help you out with both lessons and a review of your club set up.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah the TXG guys basically explain exactly what I would have said.

Facespray will allow you to see the strike position without the use of GC Quad.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow thanks for posting that. Quickly made me realise I really do need someone to look at my swing and ball flight first instead of just going off height/lie board etc!
Static fitting is pointless. everyone swings the club differently regardless of height etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Getting the -0.5 is very easy without any cost- just grip the club half an inch lower down the grip

Using this you can see if you actually need a flatter lie with your existing clubs.

It should always be remembered that to have perfectly flat lie on a course is rarity
and the head flexes downwards an towards you which flattens the lie in a normal golf swing - hence the need for a dynamic fit to be sure.