First Set of Clubs - Advice...

chiefscout

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have absolutely fallen hook line and sinker for this golf lark over the Summer. However, I have got by on borrowing friends clubs and it's come to a time when I need my own really...

Thus i am looking for my first set to purchase. To be honest, I won't get much of a chance to play over the winter (I only get one day off - Sunday!) so my evening rounds are quickly coming to an end. Nevertheless I would love to get a set as come next Summer I want to attack things full on.

Where should I look? Are the JJB/Sports Soccer sets any good?

In terms of budget, it would seem pointless to spend too much at this early stage, especially as I have a wedding to save for! Nevertheless, i don't want to get something naff that I will need to replace in 18 months.

As you can tell I am well and truly out my depth so would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Cheers

twohats

Club Champion
twitter.com
Glad to see you have fallen in love with the game!

I was in a similar position to you with regards to clubs and bought my first set from one of the kind of places you have mentioned; they cost me £90 for a full set including the bag and have served me really well...

They are a set of Dunlop "Tour" clubs and have allowed me to get down to an 18 H'cap.

As with all of these things, it ultimately boils down to what you can afford to buy.

I would also keep an eye out on the sales section of the forum, someone is selling a full set that might interest you but I don't know what your budget is.

Like I say, mine served me well and I am about to go and buy myself a new shiney set of irons.

I suppose what you need to balance is how much you think you want to spend, how much you are going to play and how quickly you think you are going to improve etc.

I am sure that someone vastly more experienced will be along to correct me very soon, but just get something you are comfortable with and can afford!

Happy Golfing!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe getting them custom fitted at Direct Golf will help.

If I remember rightly it cost me about £20 to have all my irons adjusted to my swing etc, and you can go back and get them re-adjusted at any point, on purchase of your receipt of course!

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Those package sets are ok for the irons although the woods are made of much poorer quality alloy and will not be nearly as good as a bigger brand name. If you are in no rush I would take your time and try and find a set of irons on ebay that are a few years old, well known brand, and in good condition.

You can comfortably do this for less than £100 pounds and add a driver 3 wood & a putter in the same way. Also keep your eyes open at car boot sales and charity shops you would not beleive what some people are willing to get rid of quality clubs for.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree - get a decent second hand set.

Also, what about the loal driving range over winter? No substitute for the real thing, but if you want to improve its better than doing nothing.

IanLeeds

Assistant Pro
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I bought some Dunlop Tour TR11's from sportsdirect and tbh they are not the greatest, I have had them 2 months and I have just bought myself some Cobra S2 Max's and will be upgrading putter and driver too before Christmas

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
I started playing with a set of Wilson CGI and they did good for me. If I have to pick a bad club I would definitely say the putter: it was completely unbalanced and misaligned. The woods were certainly poor but did the job.

I noticed that when I started getting decent the irons had the tendency to rainbow the ball too much and I couldn't get nice penetrating flights.

I only changed them this summer because a friend was selling his mizunos at a bargain price.