First hit! R1 Driver, RBZ2 Hybrid and Callaway Razr Extreme driver

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got back to the office after a stop off at my local AG. I went in for my wedges, tried loads and came away with a pair of vokeys! Happy boy!!

Anyway, while i was in there... they had a delivery!!

Within 2 minutes, it was opened up and was the new R1 Driver, Cally Razr Extreme and also the RBZ2 hybrid. Within another 1 minute, the protective tape was on them and i was in their fitting bay!

Cally Razr Extreme:

I am a big cally driver fan, first impressions was an impressive one, the green shaft and detail on the gloss black was awesome. It just felt EPIC, so strong. didnt hook up to their measurement stuff, but just on feel alone, i was smashing it out of the park! would 100% go back and try one properly and probably buy one!

Taylormade R1 Driver:

I own an R11, so am a TM fanboy. It looks awesome, stupid amount of settings, but i had a play with how it ships which i believe to be pretty neutral with 10 deg of loft. I was uber excited and to say i am underwhelmed is an understatement!! just didnt feel great at all. if i had an hour and the wrench maybe it could work, but would i buy one after hitting it for ten minutes? No. i might give it a chance if its still current when i am in the market for a driver.

Taylormade RBZ2 hybrid.

I am actually in the market for a low loft hybrid, i have binned my 3 wood and will be getting a #2 hybrid, so was keen to try this. the only one they could find was a #3 with a reg shaft.. OH MY GOD how sweet is the strike and feel??!!! Absolutely amazing, if it had of been payday (not until tomorrow) i would have bought one there and then, quite simply the best golf club i have ever hit and that from ten minutes in a fitting bay hitting into a net!

So there you go, a little insight into some new shineys! It also helps having your old teaching pro as the manager of the store! Incidentally, they are opening a new branch in Swindon soon and he is going to be the store manager, if you are in that area, pop in, he is a great guy and i trust him 100% to only sell what is right for you as a player. My wedge saga today, i went in, gave him my budget and my needs. i tried loads but ended up buying what he first told me to buy and that was some vokeys.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice info pal. I went to the range today and hit my own gear and unlike me didn't even look at anything shiny on the way out. I was thinking new driver but I'm hitting the old R11 alright so I've shelved that idea.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was thinking new driver but I'm hitting the old R11 alright so I've shelved that idea.

Same as me, my R11 is behaving for now, but if i have any money lying around in the coming months, I will buy the Callaway Xtreme!

Plus the RBZ2 hybrid is coming to my bag next month!!

AyrshireGolfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Is there much difference between the RBZ and RBZ2 Hybrids?

I am eyeing up a 2H RBZ for £80, but would like to see if the RBZ2 made much of a difference over its predecessor.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to try the rescue but I'm not sure if I can look down on its hideous head :mmm:

They are not that bad at all, i really liked it and thought it was less garish than the RBZ1.. not as subtle as the rescue11, but not hideous!

Is there much difference between the RBZ and RBZ2 Hybrids?

I am eyeing up a 2H RBZ for £80, but would like to see if the RBZ2 made much of a difference over its predecessor.

I have been eyeing up RBZ #2 hybrids too, i have hit the normal RBZ (ie not tour or TP) and the standard RBZ2 with reg flex shaft smashed it for me.. Honestly, when i said its the best club i have hit, i think i meant it!! i WILL be buying one.. And i will probably sell my rescue11 TP #4 and replace with RBZ2 as well!!

AyrshireGolfer

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been eyeing up RBZ #2 hybrids too, i have hit the normal RBZ (ie not tour or TP) and the standard RBZ2 with reg flex shaft smashed it for me.. Honestly, when i said its the best club i have hit, i think i meant it!! i WILL be buying one.. And i will probably sell my rescue11 TP #4 and replace with RBZ2 as well!!

You've just convinced me to at least given them a hit now :lol:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put the original RBZ hybrid in my bag last year. Not a big fan of white heads but I don't mind this too much.

I hit the thing absolutely miles with very little effort needed. I ended up having to replace my 3W as I was hitting the RBZ Hybrid further.

Funnily enough I didn't get on with the RBZ 3W and ended up with a Ping i20 :confused:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I am actually in the market for a low loft hybrid, i have binned my 3 wood and will be getting a #2 hybrid, so was keen to try this. the only one they could find was a #3 with a reg shaft.. OH MY GOD how sweet is the strike and feel??!!! Absolutely amazing, if it had of been payday (not until tomorrow) i would have bought one there and then, quite simply the best golf club i have ever hit and that from ten minutes in a fitting bay hitting into a net!

I don't get this. How can you fall in love with a club (to this level) without seeing the ball flight? It may sound great but how do you know it won't slice or hook massively? :confused:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't get this. How can you fall in love with a club (to this level) without seeing the ball flight? It may sound great but how do you know it won't slice or hook massively? :confused:

I dunno, as I said I will try again before buying, but do not you hit shots that just feel perfect? You know when you don't even have to watch the ball flight as just from the feel you know it's gone xxx yards bang down the middle?

They don't happen often, but when you do, you know!

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dunno, as I said I will try again before buying, but do not you hit shots that just feel perfect? You know when you don't even have to watch the ball flight as just from the feel you know it's gone xxx yards bang down the middle?

They don't happen often, but when you do, you know!
Nope never had that feeling....bet it's great though

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Resulting ball flight is a must for me when trying new clubs

Did you try the new Mizuno MP-T4 Wedges forged and very nice, i have two !

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Resulting ball flight is a must for me when trying new clubs

Did you try the new Mizuno MP-T4 Wedges forged and very nice, i have two !

True,

I did try the t4 and the r12, in all honesty I couldn't really tell the difference! The vokey just felt better somehow, more confidence from slightly weightier maybe? Plus I got a good deal!

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A lot of my shout that felt great have hooked or sliced at the end after being on line most of the way. You need to see the end result. I have one club in my bag that is my 'draw' club. How do you know how that club behaves?

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You also say you were hitting the cally out of the park but when hitting hybrid you say into a net I'm confused ?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You also say you were hitting the cally out of the park but when hitting hybrid you say into a net I'm confused ?

I'm with you on that one beggsy. If you are hitting into a net how do you know you are hitting it out of the park? Fair enough I accept it probably felt really good when you were hitting it but it may have been going 20 yards less than your current driver.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
FFS, why is everyone being so pedantic? i said in the original post it was into a net, i used some poetic licence saying i hit it out of the park, based on the feel. i thought some people may be interested in my first thoughts of these much talked about and hyped up new clubs that are not officially in any shops yet. wont bother next time.