first handicap

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Finally managed to finish my 3 handicap rounds ( 2 x 18 holes and 2 x 9 holes) scores,

107, 93 and (50 + 46)

107 was a rubbish round with 4 9s! other rounds I was very happy with. Last 9 holes I did today where with the club pro which was fun, making it look easy! He says he thinks I will get 18 for my first handicap which I was expecting 24 but still really happy with those scores considering I only started in May :)

What were others first handicaps?

Danny

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Congratulations. Feels good to finally get it out the way doesn't it? Remember waiting for mine seemed to take an age to find out what I'd been given. Was only actually about 5 days wait. Started off on 20 myself. Congrats

super hans

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm 45. I played compulsively when i was a youngster but never had an official HCP.

Gave the game up when I discovered booze, nightlife & women (not in that order)

Took the game up again 5 years ago, joined a club, and was allocated a HCP of 15.

Now I'm off 6, but Christ only knows how I got there (Virtuocity & Williamalex have played with me - they will confirm this)

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys,

I am on an academy membership at my club so can't play in comps, I will speak with my pro once I got the official handicap, but how do you get your handicap down if you aren't in tournaments?

Danny

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys,

I am on an academy membership at my club so can't play in comps, I will speak with my pro once I got the official handicap, but how do you get your handicap down if you aren't in tournaments?

Danny

Supplementaries.

However, the definition of Member would suggest that there should be some opportunities to play in qualifiers:

A Member is an amateur golfer who is eligible to compete throughout the year in all Qualifying Competitions arranged by his Affiliated Club(s) subject only to exclusion by virtue of one or more of the following:
(a) restrictions imposed relating solely to the handicap of the players who may compete; or
(b) restrictions imposed relating solely to the age or gender of the players who may compete; or
(c) restrictions arising from category of club membership.
A Member must have the opportunity to compete in a reasonable number of Qualifying Competitions in a calendar year and to submit Qualifying Scores in accordance with Clause 21. Note: Under this definition a Member as defined by the UHS is not necessarily a member as defined by the constitution or rules of his Affiliated Club or Clubs.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
17 but it didn't last long, won two of my first 3 comps. Finished my second summer on 12 so I kept it up. Sadly things away from the course went downhill so couldn't play as much but I managed a scratch cup and a cut to 11 in the next two years. Then I pretty much had to stop as I had no course, no jobs and no money.

SXRORY

Medal Winner
Visit site
48 was my first handicap way back when I was 13. Got it down to 7. Then found the jungle juice, girls and going out and moved away I have been a golfing nomad til this year, 37 now. Joined a club as a flexible member As i have young family. Put my 3 cards in. Was 2 ,11's and a 10 over.
I'm now a 9 handicap! Gulp. Played to it a few times but I don't think I'll be winning much lol.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
48 was my first handicap way back when I was 13. Got it down to 7. Then found the jungle juice, girls and going out and moved away I have been a golfing nomad til this year, 37 now. Joined a club as a flexible member As i have young family. Put my 3 cards in. Was 2 ,11's and a 10 over.
I'm now a 9 handicap! Gulp. Played to it a few times but I don't think I'll be winning much lol.

Decent player then, I've never had a round under 90 so playing to 18 will be a good challenge, but I imagine as I've only been playing since March I will probably be playing to that next season hopefully, could probably save 8-10 shots per round improving my putting and cutting out the 3 putts!

SXRORY

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I put the cards in I was nt expecting 9 put it that way. I thought it was an average. But reading up after its probably right. It should be your good rounds. Which 9 is

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was told they take into account a few things not just the average, like anything more than a double only counting as a double, taking into account any birdies, think I had 3 over the three rounds and our pro said sometimes they ask him if he knows you, he said he'd recommend 18. At the end of the day I'd rather have a lower handicap and be a challenge and have to play well to win than have a high handicap and have a good round and win and have all the members complaining 😅

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was told they take into account a few things not just the average, like anything more than a double only counting as a double, taking into account any birdies, think I had 3 over the three rounds and our pro said sometimes they ask him if he knows you, he said he'd recommend 18. At the end of the day I'd rather have a lower handicap and be a challenge and have to play well to win than have a high handicap and have a good round and win and have all the members complaining 

The pro should really not be involved although there is no harm in him expressing an opinion. The system is that your club's Handicap Committee should apply the formula contained in the CONGU manual to come up with a handicap figure. If they have any compelling reason to raise or lower that figure, they can do that. Licensed handicap software does the job for the Committee - just feed in the cards and a number appears at the end. If you are interested in the formula you can find it in the online CONGU manual.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm 45. I played compulsively when i was a youngster but never had an official HCP.

Gave the game up when I discovered booze, nightlife & women (not in that order)

Took the game up again 5 years ago, joined a club, and was allocated a HCP of 15.

Now I'm off 6, but Christ only knows how I got there (Virtuocity & Williamalex have played with me - they will confirm this)

Confirmed, and you will get lower if you play wide open courses, but higher if you play tight courses. I'm back where i started, 18 h/c .

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My first handicap was 23 (April 2016) and just last week got it down to 19.8. Happy with that. Was hoping to get to 18 before the end of the season, but just came up short.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Confirmed, and you will get lower if you play wide open courses, but higher if you play tight courses. I'm back where i started, 18 h/c .

Had a quick look in congu or whatever and can't remember all my scores as I've handed them in, so I'll just wait and see. It does say the handicap committee should take into account previous playing standard and peer reviews, I have a group lesson each week with the pro and did my final handicap card with him, he did say if they put me at 24 then it would be fair cause 7 of the 10 rounds iv recorded my score properly I've scored under 95

D

Deleted member 21258

Didn't start playing until I was late 20s, almost 30.

First handicap was when I started playing regular which was at Hainault Forest. Think it was about 24 but entered very few comps(less than a dozen at a guess), I then changed to a more local course due to time constraints in life, never transferred my handicap or played in comps tho. At that time I did shoot some okay/good scores, but have always been a hot and cold player, one day could be par, then the next day could be in the 90s. Then stopped playing for about 10 years.

Started playing again on a regular basis last year and put in three cards over autumn/winter and somehow got allocated a 10 handicap(worst 10 handicap that has ever played the game, ask Region3 after what he saw at Wolburn, still embarrassed by that day :eek: ).

This year has been a year of trying to get back to were I was and have been forced to enter a number of comps, as my son loved playing in the them, even though I don't, as I like to play for fun:ears: but did shot my lowest comp round ever of 75 the other week and true to form have played like a 36 handicapper off the tee since, so yeah still a hot and cold player.

Enjoy the ride down the handicap numbers, the highs and lows are a great ride and buzz.