Find me a recipe or suggest a dish

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chaps, that is NOT how to make a Spag bol. If you like processed sauces full of sugar, then yeah, it's a nice easy Spag Bol. If you want to make an easy, fresh, and MUCH tastier Spag Bol, then Virtuocity's ingredients will do the trick. Could do with a healthy splash of your favourite red to make it even better. A Bolognese sauce is not complete without red wine for me.

Dude I'm a qualified chef! BigD is a self confessed kitchen noob, I wouldn't suggest he tries anything vaguely complex at all hence my suggestion of a jar. It's more the gesture and possibility of him serving up something edible.

C

c1973

I'm trying to imagine the combination of pineapple and cumin - with the background heat from the mustard. Mustard seeds and cumin are two basics of my curry spice base so I get that - but the pineapple...? Therefore as I can't imagine it I'm going to have to try it out.

You don't really get any heat from the mustard, not sure why, perhaps cooking it removes the heat?
It is tasty though.

C

c1973

Chaps, that is NOT how to make a Spag bol. If you like processed sauces full of sugar, then yeah, it's a nice easy Spag Bol. If you want to make an easy, fresh, and MUCH tastier Spag Bol, then Virtuocity's ingredients will do the trick. Could do with a healthy splash of your favourite red to make it even better. A Bolognese sauce is not complete without red wine for me.

Correct.

But the way I read it the OP would struggle with beans n toast. I thought going down the 'out of a jar' route would be the best option to use in his attempt to please the missus suitably enough.

I prefer roasting the toms and blitzing them with some basil insead of the tinned stuff when going from scratch. :)

It's all good though. :thup:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dude I'm a qualified chef! BigD is a self confessed kitchen noob, I wouldn't suggest he tries anything vaguely complex at all hence my suggestion of a jar. It's more the gesture and possibility of him serving up something edible.

I see where you're coming from but cooking isn't a black art, half the fun is learning from your mistakes IMO. If you have a well laid out, step by step recipe it's hard to go wrong if you use a bit of common sense.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Kitchen noob or not. It's not hard to follow a simple Spag Bol recipe, and I'm sure making it from scratch would be much more appreciated than whacking an awful tinned sauce in a pan with some mince.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kitchen noob or not. It's not hard to follow a simple Spag Bol recipe, and I'm sure making it from scratch would be much more appreciated than whacking an awful tinned sauce in a pan with some mince.

I know which one I would rather eat from a first time cook.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1) Buy Delia's One is Fun
2) Choose a recipe
3) Double the quantities (as Delia advises for two!)
4) Buy Ingredients
5) Do just what Delia tells you to do
6) Eat
7) Sit back and accept plaudits
8) Humbly put it all down to Delia

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely you must know what her favourite meal is ? Even if you cock it up the thought will be there.:thup:

Mine seems to be a take away curry which is fortunate.:whistle:

C

c1973

I've got it.

Buy a big paella from Marks n Spencer, sling it in a suitable pan, hide the packaging, sit in the kitchen with a nice malt for half an hour, transfer paella onto two plates, uncork the wine. Voila, one happy missus.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So how did it go?

Sorry the late reply!

We had an unexpected turn of events - I won some pennies friday night so we ended up going out for the day on Saturday

Thankfully i managed to detour to a nice restaurant we like on the way home so i didnt have to cook (although cost considerably more ha!)

I will fulfil my promise to her one day.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So definitely not 'modern man'!

You'd be surprised how fulfilling cooking can actually be! But start with something simple, even maybe not involving (much) actual cooking. Preparing a salad exercises many of the necessary skills!

Btw. I saw text on a T-Shirt on Saturday that you would probably appreciate - 'You can't scare me. I've got 3 daughters'!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
IF you fancy something a bit different try cooking meat, any meat, pork, chicken, beef, cut into large chunks and cooked in a large pan in two or 3 cans of Coca Cola, the fully leaded red can variety. Do not use the sugar Pepsi Max, Diet Coke or the like.

Top up with stock (veg, beef, chicken) to cover meat, but as he meat cooks down the coke become a self basting gravy covering the meat in a sticky sweet sauce. You may need to top up with water if the liquor reduces to quickly. It needs to be low cooked.

While there is still some sauce, add in chunky potatoes, the meal is done once the potatoes are cooked.

There is a little bit more to it than that, seasoning to taste, chilli etc...But it is a cracking dish when done right.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So definitely not 'modern man'!

You'd be surprised how fulfilling cooking can actually be! But start with something simple, even maybe not involving (much) actual cooking. Preparing a salad exercises many of the necessary skills!

Btw. I saw text on a T-Shirt on Saturday that you would probably appreciate - 'You can't scare me. I've got 3 daughters'!

That is very true

But you also realise that for the rest of your life, you are outnumbered 1 to 5 in any decision making

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
IF you fancy something a bit different try cooking meat, any meat, pork, chicken, beef, cut into large chunks and cooked in a large pan in two or 3 cans of Coca Cola, the fully leaded red can variety. Do not use the sugar Pepsi Max, Diet Coke or the like.

Top up with stock (veg, beef, chicken) to cover meat, but as he meat cooks down the coke become a self basting gravy covering the meat in a sticky sweet sauce. You may need to top up with water if the liquor reduces to quickly. It needs to be low cooked.

While there is still some sauce, add in chunky potatoes, the meal is done once the potatoes are cooked.

There is a little bit more to it than that, seasoning to taste, chilli etc...But it is a cracking dish when done right.

Thanks

I've noted all these down

1 day i'll make you all proud...1 day

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Look up the slow cooker thread. the gist of it is.

1:Bung stuff in a slow cooker
2:Wait 6-12 hours
3:Serve
4:Hope the brownie points bring the reward of your choice :lol: