Finca Cortesin & Arcos Gardens Trip

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sincerely hope this doesnt come across as gratuitous gloating, but last weekend, I had the fantastic honour of playing 2 of the best courses in Southern Spain, and thought some of you might enjoy the read.....

Along with a few others, I was invited out to stay and experience the simpy stunning Finca Cortesin Hotel & Golf Resort, near Estepona, Cost Del Sol.
So, although the only Golfer on the trip, I made sure my Clubs were to come with me, as the chance to play the course that hosted last Octobers Volvo World Matchplay was too much to miss !

The Hotel is simply stunning, 50million Euros worth of stunning, and considering that the place was only completed 2yrs ago, it looks like it has been there for decades.
There are plenty of so-called 5* Hotels along this coast, with Marbella very close at hand, but beleive me, Finca Cortesin has raised the bar considerably.

Another 26million was spent on the Golf Course, and it showed.

So, paired with a French chap, we headed off for the 1st tee, just as the rain started
By the 2nd Hole, the rain was now horizontal !
Now, a venue for the World Matchplay is going to be a good test of anyone's game, but add in the added hinderence of a soaking wet pencil bag, totally wet grips, and standing water on the greens, and you get the picture.

The course requires a steely nerve, as any hesitation of the shot in hand sends your ball to oblivion, never to be seen again, and that is no mean feat when the blind tee shot before you leaves you with absolutely no idea of what club selection is really required, despite the SatNav in the Buggy showing the whole of the hole layout before you :D

Needless to say, the Front 9 was a ridiculous test in the wet, and we gave up after 9, resigned to defeat.

However, by 3pm, the sun was out, the course dried, and clubs too, so we headed for the back 9 :cool:
Now maybe its some sun on my back, and some tacky grips in hand, but the back 9 didnt feel as daunting. Hell I even managed a couple of Birdies, a few pars, intermingled with a couple of big scores too.

Im sure that the second time I ventured out, the course would become more playable as the shots became more apparent, but this is one stern test of shotmaking.
Not cheap at 90 Euros for Guests of the Hotel, or 135 for non-guests, but I doubt anyone staying at perhaps Southern Spain's Premier Hotel would even sniff at the fee's, and who could blame them.

I then hopped over to visit Ashley at Arcos Gardens, near Arcos de la Frontera, some 2.5 hrs from Estepona, and boy am I glad I did !

Arcos is owned by a very wealthy Spanish family, who have created a golfing venue that is so enjoyable it defies words, or at least for me.

18 Holes of simply stunning Golf in some beautiful 'real' spanish countryside,
a dramatic Clubhouse overlooking the whole of the 9th hole, Townhouses available to stay in, a 15Room Spanish Cortijo/Hotel, and some absolutely gorgeous Villas also available to stay in.

Arcos has featured in GM, and other mags too, and is simply a hidden gem, that is rapidly perhaps not so 'hidden'.
Bernard Gallagher & Matt Dawson own Villa's here, and some of the Top European Golf Teams stay here for Winter training, as quite simply, as well as the course, they have some of the best Training facilities available anywhere in Spain.

The Course is so enjoyable, it defies description. It presents itself before you, leaving you to hit the shots, but also knowing that any wayward ones will perhaps not wreck your card quite as severely as Finca Cortesin's would.
The holes wind their way up the hillside, between the Olive groves, in simply spectacular fashion, and on the day we played, the course was quiet, which was just as well, as the array of Kites, Buzzards, and Eagles soaring in and around the holes had to bee seen to be beleived.
This culminated on the 14th hole, as our Buggies turned the corner to the Tee, we were met with the sight of, and we tried to count, about 40/50 Birds of Prey swarming above the fairway ahead of us :eek:

We stood there for about 5minutes, in absolute awe of the sight, before finally playing our shots, and watching the birds drift away from us as our Buggies approached them.

All too quickly, the round was over, and I had experienced quite possibly my most enjoyable round of Golf 'ever', period.
Ashley, the Director of Golf at Arcos, had partnered me to a famous 3&2 victory over Edgar, the Pro from Palheiros in Madeira, and Ashley's father Terry.

I was left to my own devices that night, but sitting in the Clubhous with a Beer and a light meal, it didnt matter, the view before me was enough to keep anyone happy for hours, and I even walked back up the hillside to watch those Kites again.

Arcos do a great 'Stay & Play' package, which included Accommodation & unlimited Golf & Buggies etc, and if anyone wants to experience the real Spain, and a stunning place to play Golf, I couldnt reccomend it highly enough, can you tell ? :D

Here are some pics, which really dont do it justice, but enjoy......

4616289875_0559afc9a0_b.jpg

4616910232_d2ec4098db_b.jpg

4616286225_1b36a8cdc2_b.jpg