Filming swing

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm after a bracket that I can attach to my bag at the driving range so I can film my swing using my phone.

Anyone got one that they could recommend?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know this does not directly answer your question but you can get really cheap phone tripods off ebay, amazon etc. They reduce up to a small size, legs are telescopic, and work very well. We use one at work for filming short production videos and they do the job. They are so much smaller and lighter than proper camera tripods but would be ideal for what you need. Have a look, I am sure they would work better than something attached to a bag that would sway and wobble.

We paid about £20 for one for work but I found this one off ebay for under £10 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universa...hash=item3d504ebf7b:m:mK9vFEzeKMB6KfpnMVuXKkw

If you have already looked at these and discounted them then I apologise.

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I have this one. It is good for the price, I'd say it is a little unstable but for the driving range it is perfect, I just wouldn't be using it to take pictures on top of a windy cliff!

The bluetooth remote is also useful when videoing as you can have the remote in your pocket and record without having to go back to the camera every time.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a tri-pod for £15 off amazonBluetooth button with it so you can start the record from your handperfect

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dan Whittaker from Youtube has posted a video on how to capture your golf swing.

I'm assuming you are wanting to record your swing from behind. It's informative and only 3 minutes long, he mentions that you should be recording from hand height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2kwH-SlxA0

Was going to post the same but I think Bob makes a valid point about filming at a range. It's something I've done, including recording lessons I've had and the camera height has made an impact on what I filmed. Granted the quality of the lighting didn't help. If you can film outdoors then the Dan Whitaker video provides some good advice

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Was going to post the same but I think Bob makes a valid point about filming at a range. It's something I've done, including recording lessons I've had and the camera height has made an impact on what I filmed. Granted the quality of the lighting didn't help. If you can film outdoors then the Dan Whitaker video provides some good advice

Having the camera that low would mean for a lot of golfers you wouldn't be able to see what position the clubface is in at the top of the backswing

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Having the camera that low would mean for a lot of golfers you wouldn't be able to see what position the clubface is in at the top of the backswing

You can change the brightness of the video on hudl app. I film at the range and put my phone on the top of my golf bag behind.

I would like it a bit higher up though

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

if you cant see the clubface at the top of the backswing with the camera at waist hight then...... lesson 1. lets fix that overswing

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
guess most folks will be tryin to record the swing in a range bay even more so in the winter
trouble is the size of the bays often times make that tricky given the available space

shot in slo-mo frame rate most useful if poss (go pro's or other cams that have a linear shutter function not so useful as they will distort the shaft especially from face-on view - really need a global shutter function)

to record a swing that would be most help in an analysis you really got to have 2 viewpoints one from face-on (or caddy viewpoint) with the lens at hands height at a center position that is parallel to target line with the player in frame as big as poss while still being able to see the clubhead face angle at the top of the swing plus seeing the club head during the backswing when the shaft is 1st horizontal to the ground - given range bay design that's a difficult ask

the other viewpoint needed of the same club swing is the dtl viewpoint again bay design doesn't make this so easy
optimum would be lens as far back as poss ideal would be around 12' & then zoom in to again get the player as big as poss in frame but that still allows the clubhead face angle at the top of the swing to be seen

reason for the lens as far away as poss & then using the zoom to make the player larger in frame is that helps to cut down the effect of parallax - if the lens is close to the player parallax comes into play more

again ideally the lens height would be best at hands height & from directly behind the hands the lens being at 90º to target line using the framing to limit sky as much as possible while still seeing the clubhead at the top of the swing
if the daylight makes this too silhouette an image then try to raise the lens height some

as the golf swing is 3d having the 2 viewpoints (even though it's 2d vid) of the swing motion is a bunch more helpful than just having either a dtl or face-on alone

sometimes the best way of doing this is buying a clamp and flexible joint & pole from a photo/video store tends not to be so cheap but often times it's a deal more useful than an iPhone type tripod

clamp Then you also need the flex joint & small telescopic pole - clamp something like this which originates from Germany

http://www.triad-orbit.com/ioc